cd writer not recognized?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mmurphy04

My cd writer is not recognized in Hardware.

Also, I have to unplug the cd writer to get my computer to boot up.

Did Something like a driver vanish?

My primary drive is a DVD Rom, the cd writer was set up as a slave drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to TSG

Not sure what you mean by "hardware". If this is in Control Panel, that's Windows and since you have to unplug it to boot up it won't be there of course. Do you mean not in BIOS?

Is the drive a new addition? If so do you have the jumpers on the drive set correctly? Do you know the size of your power supply?

mmurphy04

norton850 said:
Welcome to TSG

Not sure what you mean by "hardware". If this is in Control Panel, that's Windows and since you have to unplug it to boot up it won't be there of course. Do you mean not in BIOS?

Is the drive a new addition? If so do you have the jumpers on the drive set correctly? Do you know the size of your power supply?
Hi, my cd writer stopped working after being used for about a year. The computer was sent to a repair shop to have a virus problem taken care of. We were told we might have to reinstall drivers for some hardware items. I tried to download the latest driver software, but now it does not appear in "Device Manager".
Also, the computer won't boot up if the cd writer cables are plugged in.
I don't if there is a problem with the writer, drivers or what?

Thanks for helping. (OS is Win 98)

Again and I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you, if you disconnect the cable or "wires" to the CDR in order to be able to boot into windows, then there is no way that it can show up in Device Manager.

Do you know how to get into your computer's BIOS?
The repair shop should have given you your system back with a working cdr, so if we don't get anywhere tonight you need to call them tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online