1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd writer not recognized?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mmurphy04, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mmurphy04

mmurphy04 Thread Starter

My cd writer is not recognized in Hardware.

Also, I have to unplug the cd writer to get my computer to boot up.

Did Something like a driver vanish?

My primary drive is a DVD Rom, the cd writer was set up as a slave drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. norton850

norton850

Welcome to TSG

Not sure what you mean by "hardware". If this is in Control Panel, that's Windows and since you have to unplug it to boot up it won't be there of course. Do you mean not in BIOS?

Is the drive a new addition? If so do you have the jumpers on the drive set correctly? Do you know the size of your power supply?

3. mmurphy04

mmurphy04 Thread Starter

Hi, my cd writer stopped working after being used for about a year. The computer was sent to a repair shop to have a virus problem taken care of. We were told we might have to reinstall drivers for some hardware items. I tried to download the latest driver software, but now it does not appear in "Device Manager".
    Also, the computer won't boot up if the cd writer cables are plugged in.
    I don't if there is a problem with the writer, drivers or what?

Thanks for helping. (OS is Win 98)

4. norton850

norton850

Again and I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you, if you disconnect the cable or "wires" to the CDR in order to be able to boot into windows, then there is no way that it can show up in Device Manager.

Do you know how to get into your computer's BIOS?
    The repair shop should have given you your system back with a working cdr, so if we don't get anywhere tonight you need to call them tomorrow.

5. mmurphy04

mmurphy04 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give the repair shop a call tomorrow.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice