CD Writing Problem: Underrun error plus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

subgenius

All of a suddly I can't burn CDs or write any files to them (Pictures, etc.) No known changes although Music Match is fairly new on my computer. But I burned discs from it before.
When trying to burn a CD from Music Match it gives me "There was an underrun error...."
When trying to burn a music CD from Windows Media Player it stops at the first track, says "Completed" but gives an error report that "an invalid alignment was specified."
I researched the underrun thing and have defragmented as recommended....still no luck.
When I try to put pictures on a CD it says that the disk is full or invalid or something.

WinXP on a Compaq1700 256RAM.......

JenniferLore

Banned
There can be many causes of underrun problems.
Make sure your cd recorder is not on the same ide channel it is reading from.

You can also try lowering your recording speed.

If all else fails you can download the latest version of Nero Burning Rom. It has built-in buffer underrun protection.
It worked for me when I had these problems

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Be sure you trim down the startup items. Start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok....go to the startup tab, if there is a bunch of garbage there, that can happen.

subgenius

Originally posted by JenniferLore:
There can be many causes of underrun problems.
Make sure your cd recorder is not on the same ide channel it is reading from.

You can also try lowering your recording speed.

If all else fails you can download the latest version of Nero Burning Rom. It has built-in buffer underrun protection.
It worked for me when I had these problems
Thanks for the prompt response. I don't know how to check the IDE thingy (I'm no genius). Don't know why that would be suddenly different or changed tho.

Trying to avoid buying something too but will if I have to.

And I tried the start up menu suggestion above and found some interesting things but it didn't solve the problem.

And thanks for the welcome....I feel loved:p

The first step in that sort of problem is to go to burner the manufacturer’s site and get the latest firmware. http://www.burnworld.com/firmware.htm And go to the maker of the burning software and get the latest update for your version. When you develop problems like that it is often caused by a conflict and the only way to get the fix to you when they discover a problem is with the firmware and software updates.

Make sure to disable any anti-virus software using the tray icon and Ctrl+Alt+Del and end task on applications you don’t need running.

Have you tried the XP built in recording software?

In addition to cleaning out your startup in XP it is a good idea to clean out the working services as well: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

subgenius

I have been using Music Match basic so there's no support.
When you say XP built in do you mean clicking on the file and sending it to CD drive. When I do this it pulls up Windows media, and after converting and working on the first cut it gives the error message "An invalid alignment was specified."
I have tried your other suggestions of disabling the anti-virus, etc.

subgenius

still can burn/write to cd.....
when i ran msconfig and looked at services i noticed "IMAPI CD-burning COM.....stopped"
don't know what that is, but could that have anything to do with my problem?
If so, how do I fix it?

Triple6

Rob
If you wish to have a good burning program consider Nero Burning ROM. Music Match and WMP are not true burning programs and always tend to have glitch in them.

Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer. Properties and go to the Recording tab. If “Enable CD Recording” is checked your XP recorder is active.

The built-in XP recorder is pretty reliable. I think that since you are getting the same alignment message that other software gave you have a problem with the burner or the media you are using. Have you tried more than one brand of CD?

Often alignment problems are an indication that your laser/reader is dirty or the arm has distorted with heat. If it is dirty sometimes the cleaning CDs can help. If the arm is warped you probably need a new burner.

Best Buy and Office Max have 52X burners for $10 after rebates that probably come with decent recording software. Better than buying software – especially if one comes with Nero.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
One I bought a couple of weeks ago, Office Max, free after rebate, came with NERO :D

subgenius

I think it maybe an IMAPI problem...I'll go to services.msc and start the IMAPI service....then try to write to CD....get an error message about the CD not being writable (using a blank TDK) and when I go back I see that IMAPI is stopped.....I have tried the automatic and manual settings and started it but it seems to stop itself......Any thoughts on this otherwise beautiful day?

subgenius

I think I have narrowed it down to this IMAPI thingy

(C:\WINDOWS\System32\imapi.exe)

I'll have it turned on (started) manually or automatic, and when I try to burn to CD I get the "Cannot complete the CD Wizard" error message, and the IMAPI service stops itself.

Can this file be bad? Can I download another to replace it?

Can anyone help me?

subgenius

Thanks Aca (I was there in 1970!) almost died swimming to El Morro (sp?) that rocky little island in the bay......any advice on what I should do with the file?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts