1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by brddog, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brddog

brddog Thread Starter

I am getting an error reading on my d drive. It reads d:/ is not accessible d:/ not ready yet

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Does this happen with any CD that you place in the drive? How soon after you've closed the drive, do you try to access it?

Please post back with a bit more info.

:)

3. brddog

brddog Thread Starter

This happens with any cd that I try to use. It started shortly after I ran a scandisk and defrag. Before this I had no trouble with it.

4. Dan O

Dan O

If your are running Windows 98 or ME boot using a Windows Startup diskette and type: SCANREG /RESTORE and depress Enter.

A menu of Windows Registry backups will be displayed, select a date before the problem occurred and reboot. It will restore system files that may have been damaged. Good luck.

5. brddog

brddog Thread Starter

I tried to reboot using the disk and the scanreg/restore that you told me about. I got message reading system restore operation failed.

6. Dan O

Dan O

Did you try another backup file? There are usally 5 of them.

7. brddog

brddog Thread Starter

I am sorry. I don't know what you mean by the other backup files.

8. Dan O

Dan O

When you ran SCANREG /RESTORE it should have shown 4-5 backups. Did you try several of them if the first one did not work?

9. brddog

brddog Thread Starter

I just went in tried some of the other backups. I got one that worked,and said you have restored a good registry. After doing this the d drive still isn't working.

10. Dan O

Dan O

It's to bad it did not work, it does often.

The next thing I would try is to delete the CD-ROM from Device Manager using Safe Mode and reboot, letting Windows rediscover and setup the CD-ROM. To access Safe Mode, reboot and depress and hold down the F8 key for Windows 96 or Ctrl key for Windows 98/ME. To delete the CD-ROM, select Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab, scroll down and double click CD-ROM icon, select the CD-ROM drive and click the Remove button. Then reboot. Good luck.

11. brddog

brddog Thread Starter

I rebooted my machine in safe mode, and it worked. Thank you very much for your work on this.;) :D

12. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks great news and thanks for letting us know. I will mark this thread solved.

13. brddog

brddog Thread Starter

I told you that I rebooted in safe mode and that it worked. When I turned my pc on today it was right back the same way, with the d drive unaccessible. Plus one other problem showed up. I can not shut the computer down.

14. indigowindow

indigowindow

can you restart in MS-DOS mode? if so, try the scanreg /restore again from before you ran the scandisk and defrag.

15. brddog

brddog Thread Starter

I finally got it to shut down in dos. It took 5 or 6 minutes. After 3 or 4 tries I got a backup that was successful. The cd is working again for know. The only problem that I see know is that when I go off line and go back on line it is changing my home page each time. Also I am a little afraid to shut the machine down again.

Thank You

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice