1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD_ROM drive starts up then stops and repeats. Help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WCUTLP, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WCUTLP

WCUTLP Thread Starter

I have bought 2 new programs which were CDs and I tried to install with my CD ROM.

When I put in the first CD program in my CD-Rom drive the drive starts up and will run about 2 seconds then stop and then there is a click and the drive will start up again then again stop after 2 seconds and then a click and it will repeat this until I hit the eject bottom. I have checked everything on my computer. I have cleaned the disk, Disabled the CD-Rom Cashing, and closed all programs except Explorer and Systray while trying to install this new program. I have tied to go to Run and do Set up. I have also went to Open My Computer and went to your CD-ROM drive with the new disk in the drive and then run Setup.exe by double-clicking on it to start the installation. When I did this a box popped up and said E:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready. I hit the retry button and the box reappeared. It kept reappearing until I ejected the disk from the drive.

One reason I do not think it is my CD-ROM drive is that after working with trying to install this program I tried to look at other programs and it will read them. I also had a new McAfee Virus program to install and I did this without any trouble after all the trouble with the first program.

In looking at some other programs I found another program that use to work in my drive but it would no longer work. It would again try to start up and stop after 2 sec. And then click and try to start up again. While the drive is trying to engage my computer will only do this one task and will not open any other programs even the START bottom and Run program will not work because the computer is trying to start up the new program and working on that but is failing. I can only get my computer to move along to something else after I eject the Disk and allow the computer to move on.

It maybe my disk drive acting up. But I am at a lost to know why my CD-Rom disk drive will not or cannot read some programs while others it has no problem reading them.

I have even thought maybe it is a Windows 98 problem because some programs work fine while other will not.

Any Ideas.

Can you HELP me.......

Terri

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

I had the same problem, it was on a secondary PC, so I haven't really tried to find the solution. One thought though, was the program I was trying to install, needed an internet connection while installing (strange) this secondary isn't hooked up to the internet, so I never found out if that was what was causing the problem.

what programs did you purchase? And, they are made for windows, right?

3. WCUTLP

WCUTLP Thread Starter

On the new program you do not need to be on the internet to install. I research genealogy and have Family Tree Maker 7.5 and I bought a newer version 10.0 and so I was up dating it. With each program comes information CDs. When I had this problem I went back to the older version and inserted it in the drive and it worked. Then I put in one of the old information CDs and they worked but the newer Information CDs did not work either. I also have a InfoUSA program that I had not used for about 6 months and it used to work great and I used it a lot but now I can not get it to work either. So that is why this is so strange it selects some CDs to work while others do not.

If it was the Disk drive it seems that all CDs would not work.

I hate to go out and get a new one only to have the same problem occur if by chance it is not the drive.

Terri

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

well there goes my theory. maybe the drive just needs to be cleaned. I would normally think it was a scratched cd, but you said it was new.

5. WCUTLP

WCUTLP Thread Starter

Ok I know this may sound stupid but I thought that you did not have to clean a CD-Rom disk drive because it was a laser beam.

Terri

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice