1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cdburner won't read cds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roanokesstar, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roanokesstar

roanokesstar Thread Starter

earlier this month i took apart my computer, i was trying to install a new harddrive. today was the first time i tried to use the cdburner. it won't read any cd that i put in there. it keeps telling me to put in a blank cdrom.

i was very careful to not jostle the hardware cases while i had them out of the tower.

it is a logitech burner, the exact model i am not sure. the speeds listed on the front are 12x 8x 32x.

i even opened the case again to check the connections. the burner registers when i start up the computer, so i figured they were fine.

is there something i can do to fix this, or do i have to junk the whole thing?

guess i should have bought that extended warranty :(

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there roanokesstar...

Just a question...

Is the burner and new hard drive on the same ribbon cable ?

3. roanokesstar

no, i was never able to install the new harddrive. it is still the old one. the cdrom and the cdburner are master/slave off each other and on the same IDE cable. i can't remember which is master and which is the slave. i will have to reboot to see that. i installed it over a year ago. the last time i burned something was like the 3rd week in december.

this is also a clicking sound when the cdburner drive opens and asks for a new cd. it isn't loud, just loud enough to hear.

edited to add: the regular cdrom drive works fine.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Will the burner read a normal CD ( ie: audio, data CD ) ?

5. roanokesstar

nope, i put a cd i know works in there. it spits it out. it works in the regular cd drive, but not the burner.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...what you might want to do is to is to unplugg the ribbon cable from the burner and motherboard then plug it back in...

7. roanokesstar

i did do that. well i unplugged everything except the connection to the motherboard. i wanted to make sure everything was plugged it well. but if that was the problem, would the other drive not work?

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Good question, it depends on which pins have a bad connection ( and I'm not saying that this is the problem, just trying to rule out possibilities )...

Also what operating system do you have and what software are you using to burn CD's ?

9. roanokesstar

i use cdadaptec.....i have had no probs with that

i just d/l'd nero demo......

i tried to use adaptec again to see if it was the nero program. but that tells me it needs a blank cd too

edited: on a whim i tried to put a game cd in my burner again. maybe it was just being fickle with me. while it tried to read the cd, there was a deafing noise emitted from my speakers. this same cd works in my regular cdrom drive. earlier when i tried the same cd, i must have had the volume turned all the way down.

could i have knocked the laser loose or something???

and is this repairable? or should i buy a new one?

10. del_ross

del_ross

sounds like a fried CDburner to me.... if it wont read CDs ..... it could either be the data cables (try replacing them) or the drive itself has bought the farm.......

11. slipe

slipe

You could have knocked some dust onto the laser/reader. If you have some canned air you could try a burst - don't put it right against the laser assembly. You could have knocked something out of alignment, but they are made to take bigger knocks in shipping than you likely gave it trying to change the HD.

Does everything look OK in device manager? Try removing the burner in device manager and rebooting.

I’m not a big fan of extended warranties for most computer equipment. Your old burner is probably worth less now than the warranty would have cost. You can get the latest 52X Lite-On for $60 delivered. Most equipment will work until it is obsolete if it works when you get it.

12. roanokesstar

the data cables? you mean the IDE cables? if so, then they must be fine because the other cdrom drive is fine (and i had removed that one too).

the computer guy at work suggested deleting the cdrom burner driver and rebooting. i did that and nothing changed. but i am not sure i deleted it right. i thought once i did that, when i rebooted it would search and ask for a new driver. but it didn't. it loaded up just like it always does.

i really hope it isn't fried grrrrrrr. my computer is older then the drive by years.

how can i clean the burner drive properly? i have compressed air. i don't even know where the laser is on the inside.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice