1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDFS Vs UDF on CD-RW?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Blue Sky, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Thread Starter

What are the technical differences and practical use of the these two file formats? I want to constantly burn then delete small files and folders on CD-RW. When I use the "copy to" function with XP it uses the CDFS - which is easy to use - but doesn't allow me to delete/erase the file/folder on the disc. A message pops up saying that it is read only and that I can only copy files over it - not erase it. How do I copy over a specific file/folder?

UDF which takes forever to format and used 200MB of space just for the formatting process, allows deleting of files but is very impracticable. I used the Sonic burner program which came with my Dell Insp 6000.

2. kentnormhr

kentnormhr

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you pretty much summed up the differences between the two formats. :)

FWIW, I wouldn't use CD-RW media for anything important that you want to keep for any length of time.

For what you're describing, an external USB 2.0 disk would probably be ideal.

4. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Thread Starter

John,

Thanks,

The reason I use CD-RW's, is because I have to tranfer data to a computer that has 1st edition Win 98 - which does not recognize USB devices.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

Treat the UDF as a giant floppy, with the security considerations of TEMPORARY transfer.
    After a lot of use, reformat.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401501