1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDR Help in Win 2000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharbear36, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharbear36

sharbear36 Thread Starter

I hope I'm in the right group, you have always been sooo helpful and here I go again. I have a Sony Vaio and I had Win Me. My computer crashed, I needed restore disks, they are no longer available. Just got off the phone with Sony support, they can no longer help me because I upgraded my computer to Win 2000 since I had no choice since they didn't have the restore disks available. Anyway, my computer doesn't recognize the cdr or the dvd. I really don't care about the dvd but these things are in my computer and I should be able to use them. I was told that I have to contact Microsoft for the latest drivers. I can't find them anywhere on the site and I'm not sure I'm very good at that anyway, so I came to the pros. Who needs Microsoft tech support when I have the Tech Guys!!

Thanks for any information that you might be able to give to me.

Shari

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I assume neither drive appears in My Computer? Check in Device Manager for any errors and see if they appear there.

When you upgraded do you mean you use an Upgrade of Windows 2000 and kept all your old programs or did you format the hard drive and install Windows 2000 from scratch? if the first you may need to uninstall you burner and DVD software. it might not be compatible with Windows 2000. You could also download and install program patches from the Manufacturers of the burner/DVd software like Adaptec/Roxio or Nero.

If its a matter of drivers then post the exact model of the Vaio and then the drivers can be downloaded from Sony or from the motherboard/chipset manufacturer's site.

3. sharbear36

First of all, I had to install Win 2000 from scratch, it was completely formatted and then installed. When I go to the device manager under DVD/CD Roms is:

Pioneer DVD-Rom DVD-116R
    Sony CD-RW CRX160E

There are no exclamations or question marks indicating any kind of problem but when I put a cd or a dvd in the drives it doesn't recognize that anything is in there?

I hope this helps.
    Shari

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So both drives appear in Device Manager but not in My Computer?

What's the model of the Viao so we can look up some info on the motherboard and the drivers it needs?

5. moebius

moebius

check if drive letters have been assigned to both the cdrw and the dvdrom

6. sharbear36

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX463DS. Under My Computer it says there is a D drive and an E drive and the cdr and dvd appear in the device manager.

I hope this helps.
    Shari

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. sharbear36

Ok, I installed those, not sure what to do next

Shari

9. sharbear36

Hi, I see your back on.
    Will you be online awhile, I will keep checking the computer for a response, if so.
    Thanks
    Shari

10. sharbear36

could anyone tell me what the next step would be?

Thanks

11. sharbear36

Hi, I think Triple6 forgot about me. :( I haven't heard back since Sat. Is there anyone else that can help me?

Thanks
    Shari

12. sharbear36

I haven't heard anything back on my issue, I'm not sure what that means. Can anyone tell me if I should repost or are we at a dead end?

Thanks
    Shari

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice