1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDR Help with Win upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharbear36, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharbear36

sharbear36 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm actually reposting because I was just kind of left hanging on my previous post and I'm not sure if that means that my issue cannot be solved or if I was just forgotten... :confused:

Anyway, I had Win Me when I bought my Sony Vaio RX463DS and now I have upgraded my computer to Win 2000 because my computer crashed and restore disks were no longer available. In result, neither my dvd or cdrw work. However, they do appear in the control panel. I would just like some assistance in getting those going again. It's a shame to have them and not be able to use them. Especially my kids, enjoy doing the dvd things on the computer.

This is what appears in the device manager:

Pioneer DVD-Rom DVD-116R
    Sony CD-RW CRX160E

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to give.
    Shari

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

When you say they don't work, do you mean the CDRW doesn't burn and the DVD player won't play DVDs?

Sounds like all you really need to do is install burning software for the CDRW, and DVD software for the DVD player. Did your pc come with any application restore disks? You will probably find both items there. If you don't have these, then you will need to purchase them, for example, Nero Burning Rom and Win DVD.

Hope this helps,

MBN

3. sharbear36

I was really hoping it was going to be that easy, however, it didn't work. I have Nero, Siren and Adaptec Easy CD Creator. When I run any of them, it states Error reading under that drive. I have the application cd and I reran those programs and I even installed an update for the Adaptec because that was the one that I normally used to copy disks. When I go into the device manager and both cd and dvd are listed under CD/DVD drives, is it suppose to be assigned one of the drives(D , E, whatever) there? I guess i'm just grasping at straws here. I'm sorry I don't know how to explain all this in computer lingo but I'm doing my best....lol.

Thanks for your help
    Shari

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Try to be a bit clearer on the errors you are getting... ;)

It sounds like the drives are reading CDs okay (or else you wouldn't be able to install the Easy CD Creator!). Another thing is that from all I've read, Nero and Adaptec don't get along...choose one or the other. Also, Easy CD Creator is now owned by Roxio...I wonder if the version you have is compatible with Win2k? Have you checked all your software for Win2k compatibility?

Post back with your errors and answers...

MBN

5. sharbear36

With Nero this is what is happening-
    When both Icons come up with the drives, the Sony CDRW has a red circle with a slash through it and when I tried to burn a copy of a cd this is the error I received.

"It looks like both your source and your destination drive for the copy process are connected to the same IDE Bus. WE would strongly recommend to connect your source and the destination drive to different IDE Bus."

Shari

6. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

What version of NEro are you using? I have Nero 5.5.10.54 and have a CD-RW and DVD-RW on the same IDE Bus and I don't get this error....

Also, not sure what you mean by "When both Icons come up with the drives..." Can you perhaps get a screen shot of this?

MBN

7. sharbear36

I don't know how to take a screen shot but since you have Nero I'll explain the box? When you choose to copy or create a cd, a box comes up asking you to choose a recorder. That is where the cdr is listed and there is the circle with the slash. I'm sorry, I know I'm probably frustrating you but I don't know how to explain this.

I also use my Siren alot and when you log in, it tells you what cds are in the drive. There is a data drive in the DVD-rom but under the Sony CDRW it says Error Reading. Where it should state 'blank recordable disk' or 'data disk'.

Shari

8. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, you may want to go to the Nero site and see if the version you have is compatible with Win2k. I have nero (mentioned my version earlier) but do not show the screens you do....

You also may want to check the Sony Vaio site to see if they offer any driver updates for Win2K for your machine....

Will your CD-RW read a normal (bought) disk? Is it reading anything?

Must go now...but post back, I'll check up and someone else with ideas will pop in to pick up the slack.

MBN

9. sharbear36

I've been to the Sony site but not very helpful. I will post back after checking the Nero site, I just wanted to let you know that my cdrw is reading regular cds in case that helps anything.

Thanks for everything
    Shari

10. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

connect one to ide 1 and the other to ide 2 as a slave to harddrive, that error shows that you have both on same cable and windows doesnt seem to like it

11. sharbear36

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for stepping in. I really don't know what that means, sorry. :( I don't have any cables connected to anything?

Shari

12. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

the big thin cable you have plugged into your drives is a cable, right?? Do you have both drives cd rom and dvd on the same cable?? If so leave the cd or cdrw on the cable by itself and put the dvd as slave on the same cable as the harddrive. you may have to buy another cable. This way you should not get the error message nero gives you. Just something you might try, always open to suggestions.

13. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, I checked the Nero site and it indicates that you will need Nero version 5.0.0.8. http://www.nero.com/us/632012038142166.php?manu=SONY&lang=en

What version are you running?

According the the Vaio site, the specs on your machine indicate that Adaptec Easy CD came on your PC. http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRX463DS_mksp.pdf

What version of Easy Cd are you using?

I strongly suspect that your issues are caused by the software, in other words, if you want to use Nero, make sure you have a version greater than or equal to 5.0.0.8 (you can find this in the application's Help>About).

I googled Siren, but don't know what it is and can't find it....

MBN

14. sharbear36

I'm using version 4 of Adaptec easy cd creator. I'm using version 5.0.4.6 of Nero. Siren is Sonic Foundry Siren, it's a program I've had for along time and I really liked it so I kept it.

I'm not giving up, I'm still trying to do whatever you say.

Shari

15. sharbear36

Ok, some good news! I just found that I am able to copy to my cd. I also just put in a dvd and that came up too, so getting those things off the application cd worked and it must just be the software for Adaptec and Nero like you said. I'm uninstalling Nero and I'm going to have to go buy a newer version of Adaptec.

Thank you for all your help
    Shari

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice