1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDR Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buf, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

CDR problems
    While I am searching for an answer, I may as well ask a question here.
    My writer suddenly does not show up in Device Manager. Oh I have disk drives showing but not a mention of CDR. I removed the 3(!!) drives listed and rebooted but my CDR was not recognized. There are no splats--no nothing indicating something is wrong or missing. I notice the drawer keeps opening and closing automatically and quits eventually(guess it gets tired!). Right now it is open and the green light is off. Earlier, it would not release a CD I was attempting to burn. Had to manually power down and then got the CD out during or just after rebooting was complete. First time I have encountered this. Any help out there? TIA.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Most cd burning software does lock the drive while burning is going on....

I would look for some updates to the burning program, and possibly at the way the drives are connected....if you try putting them in differently, as Secondary IDE Master if it's sharing the Primary for instance...what happens?
    I just came from a customer's home, her burner and regular CDROM are disappearing....I merely disconnected the regular drive, and the burner works fine, and stayed visible after many shutdowns, restarts, etc. Might be a power supply or motherboard port problem, cable, or one of the drives may be going, too early to tell.
    Drive website may have updates to the drive firmware you can try. I also replaced the motherboard battery, but that did not change anything....the drives were not being seen in BIOS, but the burner did come back in BIOS when the regular CD drive was unhooked.

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

Good morning and thanks Byteman for your suggestions. I have only the one burner drive and I haven't been into the case and the burner is on the Secondary IDE ribbon. Here is what I did last night and was happily surprised this morning when I turned on the PC.
    The CDRom is back in Device Manager this morning!! AdAware, Spybot and Blaster were run last night and all that was found was one tracking cookie. Also ran NAV full disk scan---nothing. All I did was, when shutting down for the night, I pushed the CD tray in and held it there while PC shut down. Was that the answer, I don't know. I only know it is back and seems to be working properly. Strange creatures these PCs are!! But I love 'em.
    Hey, maybe the burner drive just needed some help in completing it's cycle!!:p

4. buf

buf Thread Starter

The problem returned but only when I put the same CD in the rom tray--it locked up and the green light never went off. I had to power down to get the CD out of the rom. Never had anything like this before and don't quiet know how to cope with/repair it.
    I ran the Trend home virus scan. Nothing there!
    The blank CDs that I am using were just bought from Staples 3 days ago and they are Sony 700MB. I really think I have bad CDs.
    I tested the same CD in wife's PC and it shows the CD has not been used. I first tried, I thought, to use the same CD to burn my C drive with Ghost 2003. Think I will try Ghost again with a different blank CD and will report back what happens.
    BTW, the case has not been moved or opened in months!! And wife's PC spit out the CD immediately when I hit the eject button. (This makes me think it is hardware related on my PC.)

SOMETHING ELSE IS GOING ON HERE!!! Hate to use caps but I want to be sure you see this. I have just noticed that my second hard drive and also drives F and G are missing. F is now my CDROM and it was H when F and G were reported as drives. I THINK drives D and G were on the second hard drive and C, E and F were on the first hard drive before all this started. What a mess!! How can I correct this--easily, I hope.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

On another board, I was asked to completely turn off computer for a couple of minutes and my missing disk drives/partitions may return. Well they did and were showing as soon as boot up was complete.

Prior to "re-locating" the above, I backed up my C drive using Ghost 2003 and didn't have a problem with the burner!!

Thought you'd like to know. Thanks for your help and time good people.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!