1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDR-RW refuses to work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BlackHorseman, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been having problems with some peripheral devices lately. My printer stopped working a month ago - just prints jibberish, in the win98 and the 2000. I've tried reinstalling it's driver, but no use....

I have 2 CD ROMs, one of them is a CD writer. Now, I'm assuming that it's not busted, cause that would mean I'm the unluckiest man alive when it comes to CD writers - have never had one that worked properly....

In any case - I haven't any idea of what to do - what to look for, or whatever - in order t find out what's wrong, and maybe fix it, before I spend a 100 bucks on a new one just to discover the problem was in the system.

I've tried plugging the CD-writer (Benq 40x12x48 4012A, 1-C1KBB 1.KB) alone as Master, as Auto Cable Select, with the other CD Rom (that works....) as Slave, re-installing the driver (through device manager, removing the driver then selecting "Scan for hardware changes"), updating the firmware, and nothing worked.

?

Thanks,
    Daniel.

2. BlackHorseman

I need to know what things to check for, what can I do.....

3. dai

dai

for a start go into the devicee manager and delete it reboot and let windows reinstall.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start by installing only the new device as the only one on the cable. Put it on the end and jumper it as master. See if that gets it going.

If not, check in Device Manager and tell us what error codes, if any, are present.

5. BlackHorseman

Greetings,

First, I'd like to thank the people who took the touble of answering my questions and trying to help - dai, johnwill, thank you. But it seems you hadn't read my question before attempting to answer it, since I have already attempted what you suggest, and I have written so in my post.

In any case, it appears that my CD burner is dead. Have had it for about 6 months, and it appears it's been dead for awhile, only I thought it was a problem with my windows installation.

Regards,
    Daniel.

6. slipe

slipe

Scanning for hardware changes isn’t the same thing as removing the device and rebooting.

Evidently it is showing up in device manager. Does it show as a drive in Windows Explorer?

If it will read normal factory pressed CDs like a normal CD-ROM then it is working. From there it is up to the burning software.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!