1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cdr101: error reading drive d

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by XPUser1991, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XPUser1991

XPUser1991 Thread Starter

i have an old packard bell NEC ready 9945 that had windows 98 on it, but it crashed, so i popped in the disk and restarted the computer and got this error, since then i got a new cd drive but i am getting the same error, i can't figure out why i keep getting this error, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SDFOX 7

SDFOX 7 Banned

If it's a bootable CD, it will start in "A:" mode. You need to cd d:\ or cd e:\, depending on which drive is your CD-ROM. Some installation discs identify different drives, I know my old Win95 identifies CD-ROM as drive R:\.

Is your boot disk a floppy or a CD-ROM?

3. XPUser1991

XPUser1991 Thread Starter

it's a cd, and when i boot to it, i type this:
    A:\>D:\
    D:\>setup.exe
    after loading the scandisk or whatever it does, it says:
    setup is coping files needed to run windows

CDR-101: not ready reading drive D
    abort, retry, fail?>

so i don't now if it is the disk or the drive, windows 95, ms-dos, and even windows 3.11 will work fine, but not windows 98 (FE and SE) so i'm at a loss on what to do.
    every version of windows including dos will work except 98, it's like my computer hates 98 or something.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968660