CDR101 Not Ready Reading Drive E:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

teddytech

I am re-installing WIN 98 on a computer and I keep getting the message, "CDR101 Not Ready Reading Drive E:. What is the problem and what steps do I have to take in order to fix it?

To may understanding, the CD-ROM is not being read and I might have to install drivers. Is this right? How would I do that? Please advise.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi teddytech, are you booting with a windows 98 bootable floppy disk first?

You usually don’t have to install CD-ROM drivers except with very old drives.

Did you format your C drive for a fresh install, or are you installing Windows over itself? What is your D drive? Your E drive? Is the Windows CD-ROM disc in the E drive?

For a clean install I prefer to just use a boot floppy which has the CD-ROM drivers on it for most drives.

To install Windows over itself, your complete operating system and drivers are still installed and everything should work normally. http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q250/9/28.asp

This has a simple but fairly complete guide for a clean install: http://freepctech.com/pc/001/004.shtml

Sometimes the CD is dirty or scratched and that message will appear. Or the drive needs cleaning.

teddytech

The CD-ROM drive is the E:drive and I'm still not able to install WIN98. I booted with a floppy disk. I click, "install...with CD-Rom support, it loaded, then I get A:>. I type setup and get the message, CDR101 Not Ready Reading E:

What do I do next?

Is your CD Drive normally E? If so it will be F for the install.
At the A prompt Type F: Press enter

Bringing you to F:\>

Type setup Press enter

Hi,

Have you tried accessing another CD? It sounds like there could be a problem reading your Windows CD. If you stick another CD into the drive, can you access it's files?
I'd try using a different setup CD, or if you can, then copy the win98 folder from the CD to your hard drive, and run setup from your hard drive. But it sounds like your CD's the problem.

teddytech

Thanks a lot. I inserted another CD and was able to pull up the files. That means that the problem more than likely has to do with the WIN98 CD-ROM.

I would like to thank you. You've been a great help. I'll get another disk and see what happens.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online