1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDROM audio "flutter"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dos55, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dos55

dos55 Thread Starter

Hi,

This is my first post and I have a problem that I haven't seen before so I'm hoping that someone can help me out.

System specs: Dell Dimension 8400, Windows XP Home ed., Dell (Samsung) CDRW/DVD, IBM (LG) 48X CDROM, and 512 MB RAM. Windows has all latest security patches but not service pack 2.

The Dell system plays music CD's fine with either the Dell CDRW/DVD OR the IBM CDROM installed. When both are installed (which is what I want to do) the master plays the music CD fine, while the slave has a very noticable audio "flutter" with the same music CD. It doesn't matter which one is installed as slave I get the same result. Video seems to play okay on either master or slave.

I searched this forum and changed the slave (IBM CDROM) hardware setting to PIO (disabled digital CD audio) and the master to Ultra DMA mode 2, but the "flutter" remains from the slave. I also deleted the drivers for both units in Safe Mode, turned off the computer, restarted and let Windows reinstall the drivers - all to no avail. I even called Dell tech support and they could not solve the problem. (Dell tech said it was probably a driver conflict between the IBM CDROM drive and the Dell CDRW/DVD. How could it be a driver issue if Windows XP supplies the drivers??? :confused: )

At any rate, help would be appreciated.

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Welcome to TSG DOS55

CD or DVD drives usually like their own IDE channel

My setup is... CD... Primary IDE Slave with the Master HD as Master...
    CDRW/DVD Secondary IDE Master on it's own.

This may help.
    Unless you tried this already.

NOTE: Digital audio shouldn't have to be disabled on either drive.

3. dos55

dos55 Thread Starter

Thanks Foamer,

I should have been more clear in stating the hardware specs for this computer - the motherboard has only one IDE connector so it will have to have both the CDRW/DVD and the CDROM connected to it. The other motherboard connectors are SATA for the hard drive. (I have another computer with a CDRW/DVD and a CDROM on the same IDE cable and never had any problems.)

I also forgot to mention that I have already replaced the IDE cable and changed power connector plugs but the problem remains. (My brain is a little fried from fighting with this for the better part of two days.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice