1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDrom Drive is not ready

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Briteri, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Briteri

Briteri Thread Starter

CD Rom drive is not ready. That is the message that I keep getting when I put a disk in it. It opens, closes, says it's there when it boots, says it's working fine in device manager. I have already cleaned it, twice with a disk cleaner and checked the cables and none of them appeared to be loose or anything. I am at a loss, what now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hi,

How old is this Cd-rom? Have you tried reading more than one CD from it?

3. Briteri

Briteri Thread Starter

It's old. 1999 I think. But it worked up until this morning. Anything else you need to know?

Oh and yes, I've tried reading other CD's as well as audio CD's and it won't recognize that there is a disk in the drive. I also tried booting in dos. That didn't work either.

So is it just fried and time to get a new one or what?

Thanks

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Have a can of compressed air? Try blowing a little inside the slot. Might just be dust stuck in there. Can't hurt at this point.

Replacement is fairly cheap these days anyway. $20-30

or if you want to splurge..get a CDRW for around $50-60 :)

5. Briteri

Briteri Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot to mention that I tried that too. Guess I'm going to buy a new one huh. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice