1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cdrom drive not attached (Please reply asap)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gary300, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary300

Gary300 Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I posted on here about two weeks about my friends CDrom drive not being attached. I looked in his Device manager and there was a CDrom drive in there and it was listed "This device is working properly".. The cd lid ejects and closes, the light blinks when the computer is restarted, but when I try to play a CD, it says "No CDrom Attached"

If the light is blinking and there is a CD player/Rom in his device manager, then how is it saying not attached? All of the cables have to be connected, right?

I'm going over to his house to look at it in a half an hour.
    I need some quick info!

Thanks Guys!
    Gary

2. Filewasp

Filewasp

(1) check the cables
    (2) right click mycomputer go to properties/device manager-click the plus sign next to CD ROM highlight the CD ROM if it is listed and click properties in that box. It should tell you if it is working correctly.
    That's all the input I have although there is a way to go to RUN and type in something like SFC asnd it will check your system files
    Good Luck

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Boot into Safe Mode - (tap F8 twice per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted);

Right click My Computer; Point to Properties; Click the Device Manager tab; Click the plus sign beside CDROM; Highlight each device inside CDROM, each in turn, and click the Add/Remove button until no main CDROM entry is present.

Repeat with each device below that, Display Adapters etc. (see exceptions below), removing all duplicate entries inside a main heading. If duplicates are present, remove all those Duplicate Entries Only, inside a main heading.

Do Not bother Hard Disk Controllers, System Devices, and USB controllers.

Restart via the Start button and Windows will redetect, refresh and only replace those devices needed. There is no use for 2 keyboards, CDROM etc. as those duplicates cause some of the errors you describe.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!