1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDROM Drive not Detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newsman2, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newsman2

newsman2 Thread Starter

Hello,
    This is my first computer problem in over three years, so any step-by-step you could give me in fixing it, I would greatly appreciate. My CD/DVD-ROM in my Compaq Presario 7000Z-Series is not being detected (neither is the burner, but for now let's focus on the CD/DVD-ROM). The physical drive itself works, it opens, closes, and hums like a jet engine, but it is not being detected. I've tried going into the devices section of Systems in the Control Panel, and no dice, it isn't there. I've tried holding down the delete key when the system is booting up, and again, no detection. I opened it up, and despite an amazing amount of dust, everything apears to be okay. There are a few cables that have nowhere to go and just dangle there, but I'm fairly certain that thise are for expansion. The drive has not worked in about a week, but did work on Tuesday night (it's bizarre). Any help any of you could offer me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

Windows XP: CD, CDRW, or DVD Drive disappears
    If the CD, CDRW, or DVD drive works fine for a while but disappears without notice in Windows XP, use the next series of steps to prevent this from happening. These steps are only for Windows XP. If the drive is still missing after using this section, continue to the next section: The CD drive is missing or behaves erratically.

Step 1: Important! Updating Windows and the CD driver

Download and install all critical and driver updates using Microsoft's Windows Update tool. If the problem continues after installing updates, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Disconnecting peripherals

Disconnect all USB, 1394 Firewire, parallel, and serial devices. If the computer originally came with a USB keyboard and mouse, leave these connected. If a USB keyboard or mouse was recently added, replace them with a PS/2 keyboard or mouse for testing purposes.

Restart the computer and wait for the Windows desktop to appear.

If the CD drive is now functioning properly, isolate the device that is causing the problem by reconnecting one item at a time and restarting the computer. Continue doing this until the device is found. Make sure that the problem device is compatible with Windows XP and that all of its drivers have been updated before attempting to use it again. If the problem persists with device attached, connect the device after Windows XP starts.

If the CD drive is still missing or stops working after restarting Windows, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Changing a parallel port setting

The parallel port can interfere with CD device detection in Windows XP. Use the following steps to change the parallel port setting:

Click Start, right-click My Computer and click Properties.

From the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.

Click the Device Manager button.

Click the plus sign (+) next to Port (COM & LPT).

Right-click ECP Printer Port (LPT1) or the port number that the device is on.

Click the Properties tab.

From the ECP Printer Port (LPT1) Properties dialog box click Port Settings.

Select Use any interrupt assigned to the port and click OK.

Close all open windows and restart the computer. If the CD drive is still missing or stops working after restarting Windows, continue to the next step.

Step 4: Checking Device Manager for errors and editing registry

Perform the following steps to verify and solve particular errors found in Device Manager:

CAUTION: The following steps involve editing the Windows registry. Editing the wrong values may cause Windows to stop functioning.

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and click Properties.

Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

Click the plus sign (+) next to DVD/CD-Rom drives.

Right-click the drive's name and click Properties.

Look inside the Device Status section on the General tab. If error code 19, 31, 32, or 39 is displayed inside Device Status, a problem exists with the interaction/integration of previous CD burning software and Windows. Continue troubleshooting.

If there is no error message listed, discontinue this step and go to the next section: The CD drive is missing or behaves erratically.

Click Start, and then Run. In the Open field, type: Regedit

Click OK.

For system safety, make a backup of the registry:

Click My Computer at the top of the list, then click File, then Export.

Browse to a folder that is easy to access, such as My Documents.

Type a filename that is easy to remember, such as RegBackup.

Click Save to back up the registry. It may take up to a minute for the file to export.

Click the small plus sign (+) next to each of the following folders, in order:

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE, SYSTEM

CurrentControlSet

Control

Class

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right-click LowerFilters from the right side of the window and click Delete (see Figure 1).

Right-click UpperFilters from the right side of the window and click Delete.

Exit Registry Editor and restart the computer. If full CD writing functionality has not been restored, it may be necessary to reinstall the CD writing software.

I got that from the compaq website, i hope it helps. post back if it doesn't, and we'll try something else.

3. newsman2

newsman2 Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. I downloaded and installed all of the Windows updates, but no luck. I also tried step two, and again, no luck. The CD Drive is still not being located anywhere. I am running Windows ME, so again, any further help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

4. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Well, I had a older Compaq, and when I lost the CD rom drive, I had to push the open button on the cd drive during the whole reboot process...worked for me more than once, try it and post back ( I know it sounds nuts, but give it a shot)...Rhett :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice