1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cdrom drive not showing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sweetcheekies, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

I am trying to fix my son's hp pavilliondv6000 laptop.. the past few days he was unable to open his cdrom drive.. finally we got it open and his drive changed to bdrom drive on my computer.. it had 2 devices listed under it because he mounted a drive on the same drive letter.. when he unmounted it the device manager no longer finds the cd/dvd rom drive. so now he can't use his cdrom drive or anything.. hp support is so complicated i can't find the proper driver for it. i have gone to support it finds his computer etc and lists drivers but i dont know what one it is. also problem #2 he now has 2 base system device (code 28) things and one coprocessor problem in device manager.. not sure if they are all tied in? any help with this .. everything was working fine until just the one day he couldnt open the cdrom .. fixed that.. things started messing up.. he is running win 7.

any help would be appreciated
    thanks

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The driver for Optical Drives is Native to Windows. So there is no driver to download and install. Occasionally the driver can become corrupt. Simple fix that works if the Optical drive has not physically died, is to open device manager, right click on the optical drive then select remove device. Close Device Manager, then restart the computer. Windows will display a found new hardware notification, this is windows finding and installing the Native driver for it.

3. sweetcheekies

thats the thing.. its now not showing up on device manager.. it was.. its not.. it was its not.. its been like that.. it would be listed at cdrom dvd or something like that right?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  5. sweetcheekies

nothing.. its still not there.. this is frustrating it was there yesterday until we unmounted the drive he had mounted in daemon...

6. sweetcheekies

I think I am going to just reformat his laptop and see what happens then.. if the cdrom is not detected then then i know for sure he needs to replace it.

thanks again for any suggestions

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yikes! Bad idea! If the drive is shot, I don't see how you can format the drive, and if you somehow manage to do so, you won't be able to reinstall Windows. It's very easy to determine if the problem is with the drive or with Windows. Try booting from a disk. If it works, the drive is fine. If it doesn't, try another disk. If it still doesn't work, the drive is shot.

8. sweetcheekies

Ya that is what I am in the process of doing.. it sounds like its trying to read from the drive.. but nothing boots.. I have ssen that I can reformat from an external hard drive and he fortunately has one.. so I mayb have to copy his win 7 cd onto it.. then go from there.. IDK i am just so out of ideas and he needs his computer for school

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the drive is physically broken, formatting the hard drive won't accomplish anything. It needs to be replaced.

10. sweetcheekies

Ya.. i just want to make sure i am doing all thats possible to eliminate any problems .. I wasnt able to reformat via the external hard drive either.. it said to remove media.. so will be taking his laptop in and having it checked out it seems.. as I am unable to reformat it.. I was just thinking because bios reads the drive.. it shows up in the boot menu.. that it was a windows problem :(

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know how many ways to say it. There's no point, nothing to be gained, by formatting the hard drive in an attempt to "fix" a physically broken optical drive. The drive can be broken and still be detected by the BIOS.

12. sweetcheekies

ahh Ok see that solves alot.. and was not judging your opinion.. I was told that if it showed in the BIOS it was a good optical drive.. so thats why i was persistant in trying to get it to work.. When my son comes home this weekend I am gonna take it and price a new drive.. ty very much

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

14. sweetcheekies

wow thats all its worth.. he paid $500 for it 3 years ago.. talk about depreciation lol mind you we live in canada sooooo lol ty again for the information he is going to be in heaven when I tell him he needs a new laptop :)

15. sweetcheekies

Ok.. need to get this thing reformatted.. It now has become my laptop and I need to get rid of all his crap on here.. there has to be something.. like i said it showed up until I unmounted drives..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice