1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cdrom not available now

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bvwilk, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

PII350,128ram, W98SE
    Lost cdrom is the problem and it was working fine. Wanted to do a clean install after four years. Did fdisk, then format c:, put my original win98 boot disk in and my original full version W98SE disk in and rebooted. Cdrom was found on boot and cdrom light came on and flashed. Chose start W98 from cdrom, drivers were loaded and then got: W98 setup files were not found and it’s back at the a:. Also tried with and without cdrom support. No luck. Tried bios change to boot from cdrom and got cdrom failure. When I Dir C: there are no files which I’m pretty sure is correct and it is reporting the correct size of the drive. When I Dir D: I get : CDR101: Not ready reading drive D. Thought the cdrom may have coincidentally taken a dump at the time I’m trying to do this so took it out and replaced with another, known working cdrom. Same thing. So I figure it’s not the drive and something else is going on. Partition info shows 1, status A, type PRI DOS, mbytes 4124, FAT32, 100%.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

You erred in that you put the full version in before you booted.

The computer will boot off the full version CD-ROM as it's a bootable CD. You should have just booted with the Win98 Startup disk in the [A] drive only and chose to boot with CD-ROM support. Insert the Win98 CD and count to 30. Then at the [A] prompt type, e:, and strike Enter. At the [E] prompt type, setup and press Enter. Use the Tab key to choose to Exit and press Enter after ScanDisk runs and follow the on-screen instructions to start the Windows installation.

You'll need the drivers for your computer's Audio, Video and Modem after the install is complete.

Please see the following printable attachment on Starting from scratch.

Attached Files:

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

you may need to type, cd e:, and strike Enter, to get to the [E] prompt.

4. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

ok. will try.

5. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

e: or cd e gives me invalid drive specification

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

you started with CDROM support?

7. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

8. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

rebooted a second time with only boot disk in a: and made sure I used "with cdrom support". At a: typed e: and got invalid drive spec.

9. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

before the a: comes I get MSCDEX 2.25 and a line that says: Drive D:=Driver OEMCD001 Unit 0.e

10. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

also thought my boot disk might be bad and downloaded one for 98SE from a post on this site. Same probems.

11. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Are you entering the syntax correctly? It sounds as if you aren't. At the [A] prompt type, cd e:, and press Enter, Looks like this a:\>cd e: (press Enter) or a:\>e: (press enter). note the space after the D in the first example. No space after the colon in e:!

Your CD-ROM may be no good is why you're having difficulty.

12. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

thanks for getting back. syntax is correct. thought the drive might be bad so I replaced with a known, good one. mentioned this in my opening. still had same problems.

13. Styxx

Styxx Banned

if you've got a viable cdrom installed and it works in Windows, if you're typing the synatx correctly it'll work fine. you're doing something wrong.

please see the following printable attachment for more information.

Attached Files:

14. bvwilk

bvwilk Thread Starter

read the article last night. I feel like I'm doing it right. Just tried again. boot disk in a. rebooted. started with cdrom support. got to the a:. put cd in and counted to 30. the cd light comes with this cdrom or the other one I tried. typing cd e: or e: I get invalid drive specification. I can change directories between a,c and d ok but not e.

15. Styxx

Styxx Banned

When you restart with a Startup disk in the [A] drive some dialog appears on the screen as drivers boot up. At the end before the [A] prompt appears it usually says the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive.

Have you got multiple partitions on the Hard drive? The CDROM drive letter could be F, G or even H then. If this is true about multiple partitions the try a higher letter.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice