cdrom not available now

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bvwilk

Drive D:=Driver OEMCD001 Unit 0.e
one partition. checked drives e thru j. all invalid. If I do setup at d: I get CDR101: Not ready reading drive D. Same if do dir at the d prompt. This is same thing that happened with other cdrom I tried.

I did not notice whether the CD drive shows up in the DOS Box
when the system boots. If so then the MSCDEX will assign a drive letter. If you can not access that drive letter due to invalid drive error and you have a working drive try putting the CD ROM on a different IDE channell. If you get the same error change the cable.
Have you tried a different CD ???

bvwilk

before the a: comes I get MSCDEX 2.25 and a line that says: Drive D:=Driver OEMCD001 Unit 0.e
don't know how to put cdrom on a different IDE channel but could try with direction. Have not tried another cd but am going to grab one at work. thanks

bvwilk

tried a brand new win98 cd. same problem. I do d: at a: and get the d drive. when type setup I get CDR101 not ready reading drive d.

:) Boot up with only the Win98 boot disk in the floppy drive. Choose "Start WITHOUT CDRom support." At the A:\> prompt, type format c: /s and press enter. After it finishes, reboot again this time choosing "Start WITH CDRom support", at the A:\> promt, type E: and press enter (Or whatever drive letter it assigns). When you get to the E:\> prompt insert the Win98 CD into the drive, wait a few seconds, then type setup and press enter.

It sounds like you might have tried to reformat from within Windows.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

bvwilk

booted with win98se boot disk without cdrom support. got to a:. Format c: /s gave me bad command or file name.

bvwilk

changed drive to c: and did format c: /s and the command took so now it's formatting. seems odd from my recollection of dos that format c: /s didn't fly from the a:

bvwilk

did try format c: from the a: and also got bad command...
format c: /s from c: ok or does it need to happen from a:?

bvwilk

format finished. rebooted. started WITH cdrom support. got to a:. changed to d: which was the drive assigned and got the same message - CDR101 not ready reading drive d.

bvwilk

thanks everyone. it's working. I went and bought a new cdrom and when I typed setup at the d: it spun up and it is installing as I type. I used the original cdrom on thursday before reformatting so it was working. Installed a 2nd cdrom on sat. and I tried it in the machine it was in before removing it. seems odd that two cds are now crap and a third is working. Had every cable marked so I used the same ones. Oh well as long as it works. Appreciate all your efforts!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online