1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cdrom Not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olebill429, May 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. olebill429

olebill429 Thread Starter

I just got this hp machine with Windows 95 in it. It will start up just fine, but if you shut it down, it won't restart for at least half an hour. In addition the cd krom icon is missing from the My Computer and it doesn't work :confused:

2. brianF

brianF

Question's

What does it do when you try to restart it, does it try to power up at all????

CDROM, when you start the machine does the light on the front of the cdrom blink at initialization. Do you see it recognized on the post initialization screen???

3. olebill429

When I hit the switch, nothing happens, then after about thirty minutes, I hit the button and it starts right up. Yes the cd light comes on and even when I put a cd into it , the light comes on and then goes out and nothing happens,

4. olebill429

perhaps I should clarify this. In the morning when I turn the machine on, it boots up and in the process it recognizes the cd rom, then if for some reason I turn it off, it then makes me wait some thirty before it will start anything. Meanwhile if I put a disk into the cdrom the light will come on and stay for a while, then go out and nothing happens.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If the PC has a fan sensor, it could be a fan not starting to spin right when you first boot. It could also be a bad power supply failing to give a flat voltage to the board. It could also be the outlet if you have to many devices plugged into it. Try it on a different outlet, by itself without the monitor on the same plug if possible.

6. olebill429

I have a packerd bell 2950 with windows 95, I am trying to fix it up for some poor people. The cdrom icon is missing from the MY COMPUTER screen, it also does not work, yet the computer recognizes it at bootup, and the little light comes on at boot up, it will also light up when you install a disk. This machine also refuses to startup after shut down, but after thirty minutes it will come on and boot up, I asked this yesterday, but possibly didn't explain all my problems. HELP HELP :confused:

7. adapterJohn

adapterJohn

Hi, one guess, if it only starts again after 30 minutes, I guess the problem must relate to your power. The same applies to your cdrom problem I think. Perhaps you may try to reinstall the OS and see what will be happening then.
    Good luck.

8. olebill429

YES I THOUGHT OF REINSTALLING OS, BUT ITS ON A CD AND OF COURSE THE CD ROM DOESN'T WORK, SO THERE i SIT, AND OF COURSE I AM ALMOST COMPLETELY COMPUTER ILLITERATE

9. adapterJohn

adapterJohn

Perhaps you may change another stronger power supply to see if it works. To exchange power supply is relatively easy...

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Bill, I've merged both of your threads. It'll be much easier to assist you if you'll keep everything related to this problem together in one thread ;)

11. olebill429

okay the power supply fixed the start up problem, I have since formatted the harddrive, and now having trouble getting windows 95 back in there, it keeps saying the cd drive is missing

12. adapterJohn

adapterJohn

Congratulation~!
    Then perhaps you can try in DOS mode, to see if you can find the cdrom there, otherwise change another CD-ROM. If it works fine with the other CD-ROM, then your original CD-ROM is defect.

13. brianF

brianF

silly question maybe, but being as you are installing win95 did you load real mode drivers for the cdrom. If not, it's not gonna work me thinks.

A win98 startup disk would install generic cdrom drivers for it if you choose the with cdrom support option, and you then should be able to install win95.

Could be all wrong, been a long time since win95, but I don't think so

14. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there olebill429...

You can also go here and download the W95 boot disk...

15. olebill429

All right, I really appreciate all the info. I am sure that I will be able to get something done with these suggestions. The one thing that really bugs me is the missing cdrom icon missing before I started all this. The folks who owned it told me that it had been in a closet for a couple years, and hadn't been used. So now I will get to work and see what will be, Thanks a lot. Ole Bill

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/135098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice