1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDROM not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrewB, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrewB

DrewB Thread Starter

I can not access my CDROM drive on my computer. Whenever I try to it give me an error message saying that the "Drive is not accessible. The device is not ready". I have tried changing the drive assignment and checked the properties and everything seems in order. This first started after I tried to install a new program. Can you please tell me how to fix this problem. Thank you, DrewB.

2. mixx941

mixx941

What OS are you running? If you are running Windows XP, do you have Adaptec EZ CD Creator? Post back, and I'll help you :)

3. DrewB

DrewB Thread Starter

operating system windows 98
    DrewB

4. slipe

slipe

If you know how to change the drive assignment you are familiar with device manager. Just expand the CDROM heading and highlight the drive. Then use the “Remove” selection in the lower part of the device manager box. OK the dire warnings and reboot. It will reload the drive and it will probably work for you.

5. DrewB

DrewB Thread Starter

:confused: hi it wont let me do what u told me to do
    it tells me that it cant be deleted

thanks DrewB

6. mbrandt

mbrandt

Having the same problem of the CD drive not accessible, but the CD-RW works fine. What does the Adaptec software have to do with this problem?

7. DrewB

DrewB Thread Starter

hi what does cd-rw mean?
    DrewB:confused:

8. mbrandt

mbrandt

CD-RW is a recordable and rewritable cd drive (cd burner).

My CD drive is again working. I took it apart, and blew it out since I don't have a CD drive cleaner (but I'll be getting one). I put it back in and it works! The other thing I did was remove an old Adaptec Easy CD Creator program. I don't like it when I do two things at once and get something to work, since I don't know what worked. On the CD drive I suspect cleaning it out might have solved the problem. But I did not see anything on the optical lens.

Also I had previously removed the CD drive via the "Device Mangler" and removed and reinstalled the IDE connection on the CD drive. In fact when I removed the CD drive I used the IDE connection it had for the CD-RW and the CD-RW worked so it wasn't the IDE connection.

On a previous post I seen a suggestion to clean the CD drive. I don't recall who suggested it. It's nice to have a forum like this and the ability to go back in history to see if anyone else had this problem and solved it.

9. crabman

crabman Guest

could be that your auto insert notification is not checked off in your cd rom propertys .go into your device manager and click the plus sign on your cd rom then double click the cd rom then click on the settings and make sure the auto notification box is checked .If this is not the problem you mioght try starting the computer in safe mode go into the device manager and click the plus sign on the cd rom and see how many cd rom drives you have listed .if you have more then you have installed on the machine these are called ghost drivers and you need to remove them.if you have a bunch listed you could have a virus on your computer ,you can tell by clicking on the performance tab in the same box that you clicked on for your device manager .if it says something like master boot record altered or maybe dos mode.this would verify it.or it could be something as simple as a bad cd or dirty.thankyou for calling compaq technical support my name is ed you have a nice day:p

10. mbrandt

mbrandt

Two weeks after my last reply the cdrom stopped working. I don't think it's the drive, but a software problem. I'm not sure if it's Windows or Easy CD Creator 5 or a combination of the two. Any way after restarting the computer twice I still had the error message H:\ is not accessible and I had a store bought music cd in. So I turned the computer off, let it sit for a few minutes. Turned it back on and there in windows explorer is H:\ with a music cd icon. And it continues to work (for now).

11. DrewB

DrewB Thread Starter

:) :) :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D
    my d drive is fixed drewb

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice