1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cdrom Problem, Code 39

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CarolinaBill, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I have just (a week ago) installed Windows 10 over a previous Windows 7 OS but retained a copy of Windows 7 as a dual-boot. My Windows 7 OS has no problems, but the Windows 10 is not recognizing two cd/dvd drives. They show in the bios as they should since they work fine in the Windows 7 boot. The Windows 10 Device Manager shows both drives with a message of corrupted or missing device drivers, Code 39. I have tried the usual remedies for this problem (1) uninstall, restart, and scan for new hardware; and (2) looking in the registry for Upper limit and Lower limit entries. The first time I tried this the only entry for {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} was "default" and "value not set". When I checked a second time, there was a new entry with a little square in front, showing "##?#ACPI#PNP0501#1#{(same key value)". This had a default entry that was not set, but also a DeviceInstance entry that had a value of ACPI\PNP0501\1.

The strange thing is that when the Windows 10 installation first completed, the two drives were recognized and useable. I cannot identify anything in particular that I added to cause the error, as it mostly involved reinstalling a number of programs that were not retained from the initial Windows 7 installation.

Any suggestions?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice