1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDROM Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pTerB, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pTerB

pTerB Thread Starter

I changed cases for my wife's PC. The hardware went back in the same place. I booted to CD just fine. In WinXP, the CD drive exists, but when I stick a CD in it, nothing happens. If I select the drive to explore it, I am told to put a CD in the drive.

There are no other drives on IDE2. It is set as Master. It's a CD Burner, but I can't install Nero until it can read a CD. It worked before I changed the case. I did remove a HDD from IDE1. It's an old P4 1.5 on Asus MB and 256MB RDRAM.

What should I do? Any ideas?

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Make sure if it is set to Master on the jumper that it is on the end of the ribbon cable and not in the middle of the cable.

3. pTerB

pTerB Thread Starter

Well, the drive works fine in DOS, and even in Windows, so long as I boot into the WinXP CD (or any other Windows CD). So the cable and jumpers have to be right, don't they? Anyway, it is set to Master and I'm using the end of the cable. With Master set, it shouldn't matter which part of the cable is connected. Please, anyone have any ideas???? I thought you guys were good... this is a challenge...

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

PHP:
     With Master setit shouldn't matter which part of the cable is connected.
    WRONG!!!!!!

If using winXP, make sure you have the BIOS setup menu PnP option to Disabled....and if Win98, make sure it is Enabled.

When you select Start, Right click on My Computer, Manage, See if you find it there.

Take a look at this possible solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553&Product=winxp

5. pTerB

pTerB Thread Starter

I can see the drive in Windows. It is visible. It tells me that the driver is installed and working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled countless times. The drive looks normal from within Windows Explorer or My Computer. When I put a CD in the drive, nothing happens. When I select the drive, it tells me to put a CD in it, even if there's already one there. Yet, when I boot it with a bootable CD in it, the CD boots up just fine. So, it doesn't appear to be a physical problem. I can verify that it is physically working. If I uninstall the driver, when I reboot, WinXP autodetects the new hardware and reinstalls the drivers. XP can see it, and so can I, but the CDs can't be read or explored.

The Microsoft link was about drives that can't be seen in Windows.

BTW, I thought the cable end was only affected if Cable Select was chosen, not Master or Slave. Maybe on some drives...?

6. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify:
    This is not true. Regardless of Master or Slave, you must have the drive the correct place on the cable. If cable select, you can put the drives either and it will order them to be whereever you have them on the cable. Thought if you get another build you would need this information.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice