1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW and data files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by azhat, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

I'm trying to copy Corel Wordperfect suite to a cd. I used the wizard in Adaptec CD Creator, and the cd is blank. It went thru the motions, but nothing is on that cd. I then tried Nero, but before I got started the following appeared, and I have not continued:
    "This compilation does not meet the ISO9660 standard; it contains at least one folder with pathdepth of more than 8 levels and/or a pathname longer than 255 characters. Are you sure you want to allow this?"
    Any suggestions?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Don't use the wizards as that CD probably has some protection on it. Try writing it with Disc-at-once

3. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

I dont find "disk-at-once" at either Nero or easy cd creator.

4. boaster

boaster

Disc at Once is an option in Easy CD Creator. Under options you should see "Disc at once" and "Track at Once" among others.

5. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

Nope, still cant find any options for "disk at once" or "track at once' in either Easy Cd Creator or Nero.

6. slipe

slipe

You would have a very old version of EZCD to not have the option to write disc at once. What burner and EZCD version are you using.

It appears Nero is willing to copy the CD for you. Evidently the CD has parameters that don’t comply with ISO standards and it works fine. Program CDs seldom have copy protection. The worse you can do is blow 25c on a CD – just say yes you want to continue and record the thing.

7. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

I have a Smart and Friendly burner, and V3.5 of CD creator. I'll try nero, and report back. I'm downloading a newer version of CD Creator now and will also try it. Thanks.

8. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

I downloaded Nero 5 burning rom and Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. I tried many different ways to copy Corel, but no luck. With Nero, I had the following errors:
    Could not perform fixation
    Burn process failed at 4x
    SCSI target error
    With Easy CD, and using Data CD Project, I couldnt start the burning process because of the following message:
    This program has performed an illegail operation and will be shut down.
    With Easy CD , and usind Direct CD, I couldnt drag and drop the file because of the following error:
    Cannot crate or replace Corel: Access is denied.

I picked another file at random and tried to make a copy, and had the same problem.

Maybe its this "cheap" smart and friendly burner. They're out of business, so there is no tech support.

9. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

I posted a message at the Compaq forum(I have a presario 5150) and asked what CD burner's they recommend for the 5150. They didnt get specific, just mentioning a few good brand names. But they said make sure its an IDE type. The CDRW I have is SCSI. Is this causing my problem? What's the difference between IDE and SCSI? How do I tell one from the other?

10. slipe

slipe

SCSI burners are usually a higher quality and use less overhead to operate. I’m sure your burner wasn’t cheap when you bought it. Burn-proof type technologies have made IDE burners easier to live with as you just get a small click in an audio recording rather than a coaster when you run the buffer dry by multi-tasking while you burn. You have a much higher chance of being able to multi-task using SCSI without engaging burn-proof and slowing the recording. I would recommend an IDE burner only because they are a lot cheaper and the choices in fast SCSI burners is limited.

Before you chuck your burner there are a few things to try.

Download the ASPI check program and check your ASPI. Get back if it flunks. http://www.cyrus.troy.btinternet.co.uk/downloads.htm

Uninstall all copies of DirectCD. If you just uninstalled your old EZCD before installing the new one, the old DirectCD is still there. Older versions cause problems with Nero on the same computer. Better to just get them all off while you sort things out.

If you have a good ASPI and DirectCD removed and are still having problems I have one more thing you might try. Download the free version of Sony CD Extreme recording software. It is the exact same software as Prassi Primo CD Plus and is simple and robust. Don’t go to Sony for updates to the software as the updates have drivers for Sony burners you don’t need. Uninstall everything else before you install the Sony so you can eliminate possible interactions. http://151.199.133.3:8080/extreme.html

If it still doesn’t work get back and I’ll give you some good links to tests on the latest bunch of burners. You can get good quality 24X burners delivered for $85.

11. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

Thanks, Slipe, I'll check out everything in the morning. Is it physically possible to put a SCSI type CDRW into a pc with IDE?
    And if so, what kind of problems would I have?

12. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

Slipe, can you post the links for the good quality burners.
    Thanks

13. slipe

slipe

I think CDRInfo does the best tests. You will find tests for almost all of the current burners on this page: http://www.cdr-info.com/hardware/ Each test is about 8 pages long, so make sure to scroll through as they list the advantages and disadvantages on the last page.

They have only one 24X or faster burner that they gave an Editor’s Choice Award to and that is the 24X Teac. It has the best error correction of any current burner, defeats all of the copy protections and is one of the few current burners that has hardware support for the new Mt Rainier format which can replace the floppy. Newegg has it for $125 with free shipping but unfortunately they only have it currently in black: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=5&manufactory=1110&DEPA=1 Maybe you could do better through www.pricewatch.com Be careful as there are places that lowball the price and then rape you on shipping.

The best price right now on a competent burner is the 24X Lite-On. Its error correction can't match the Teac but is better than the 24X Plextor. It also defeats all the copy protections and isn’t media picky like the Plextor. It doesn’t support Mt Rainier. Newegg has it for $89 delivered. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=5&manufactory=1336&DEPA=1 Don’t get the OEM with the retail box only $2 more.

CDRInfo doesn’t list a test for the 32X Lite-On but there is one here: http://www.cdrlabs.com/review.php3?reviewid=94 They seem to be reaching the point of diminishing returns with burner speeds as both the Mitsumi and Lite-On 32X burners beat the 24X machines by only a few seconds. The Lite-On 32X evidently doesn’t have Mt Rainier support.

I think that 24X Teac is the burner of choice at any price right now and the Lite-On is a good burner at an excellent price.

It seems you already have a SCSI card. You might have to update the card if it is an old SCSI 1 card, but you can get a Tekram SCSI 2 card cheap that will support a 24X burner. I have an IDE system as far as the HD goes, but have 5 SCSI devices including a Plextor burner and CD-ROM. There isn’t any problem mixing them. I’m waiting for a decent fast SCSI burner that will defeat all of the current copy protections. I’m just snobby about SCSI, but IDE works fine these days. The problem is that the Sanyo is the only fast SCSI burner on the market, and as usual Sanyo is behind in defeating all of the copy protections. I wish Teac would make a fast SCSI burner.

14. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

I went to the Newegg website and all I saw for the Lite-on was an OEM model. Just wondering, what that stands for and the difference between OEM and retail.

15. slipe

slipe

I take it you are talking about the Lite-On. They ran out of the retail cream about two days ago and evidently ran out of the black late last night. OEM equipment is for companies that build computers. The builder takes on the responsibility of the guarantee and service so it isn’t supported as well. Get the retail.

This place has the retail box for $76. They claim $13 shipping – if it is more at checkout go to www.pricewatch.com and find a better place to buy it. http://www.ussa.com/ussaonline/dept.asp?dept_id=10117

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice