1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW Annoyance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skudge, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

My CDRW hardly ever works anymore.
    It takes me about 8 inserts before a disc will start spinning correctly. Sometimes it wil lock up my system until I take the disc out and then I get PIO errors whenever I try to accesss the drive even without a CD inserted. I have to disable my device and then enable it again for the error to go away.

It annoys me so much that I feel like taking out my CDRW and throwing it up against a brick wall. I cant afford to buy a new one so I really need some info on how to make it work better.

Please help me.

2. RonK

RonK

Bad media can cause that. Are you using cdr or cdrw when this problem happens ?

3. moebius

moebius

try changing the cdrw`s drive letter.

4. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

I use emy CDRW for everything. I dont have a CDR.

5. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

How do I do that?

6. RonK

RonK

"Media" as in the type of disk that you are having a problem with.
    Does the problem happen with cdr disks or just with cdrw disks ?

7. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

It happens with all media even brand new original software.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's quite possible that the drive is either dirty or dying, it happens...

9. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

I bought it a year ago brand new.....

10. moebius

moebius

u must be logged on with an administrator account to change a drive's letter

goto control panel and click on administrative tool. then click "computer management". then in the computer management console, click on "disk management". wait for the logical disk management service to start and then right-click on your cd device and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." in the popup menu. a window opens with a list of letters assigned (usually theres only one item in the list) and some options. Click the drive letter of your CD-device and change it to any available item in the list.

PS : IF THIS DOES NOT WORK, CHANGE THE DRIVE LETTER BACK TO WHAT IT PREVIOUSLY WAS. If it does work, then u ull have another problem: ur cdrom`s drive letter has changed, so some programs will not be able to access it. Use this is for diagnostics only. if this works, you most likely have a driver problem or rescource conflict in your CD-device/ide controller/hard-disk/dma controller

11. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

If I do have a resource conflict how can I fix it ?

Do you know of any websites with detailed info on resource conflicts?

edit: I changed drive letters and I still get the same grief.

12. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

Should i enable digital CD Audio for my device and what about the IMAPI burning service?

13. moebius

moebius

IMAPI burning service is the windows cd-burning service that applications such as nero and adapted easyCD use to write to a CDRW drive. enabling digital audio only affects reading of audio disks. rescource conflicts can be sol;ved from the device manager, but windows xp usually keeps an eye out for conflicts and corrects them itself.

ur drive is dead, u probably have a warranty, get it returned

i dont know of any websites that offer info on conflicts only, but u could google this rescource+conflict

contact ur drive manufacturer...

//Im not sure if ur up2 this, but opening the drive and cleaning the lens with tissue paper is a good option

14. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

I've been thinking about doing that for a long time. Is it safe when all power is disconected?

PS. Does it matter if I disable the IMAPI burning Service If Ive got Nero.

Is it like a burning program or something?

15. moebius

moebius

the imapi service is the interface between the windows software layer and your cdrw`s writing layer, if u disable it u wont be able yo use nero to write to the drive. nero doesnt have its own interface, sso it uses the IMAPI service.

all u need to do is take out the cdroms cables (the power cable, much like the ones that connect to your car stereo, an IDE interface cable, flat like a belt, and an audio interface cable. then, open your cdrw and clean its lens with tissue.

if upon opening ur cdrw`s steel top cover, u see that the rest is enclosed in a plastic case with strange holes and strange pins jutting out, dont go further, that drive cant be opened by the end user.

IF UR DRIVE IS UNDER WARRANTY RETURN IT TO THE STORE. OPENING THE DRIVE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY

PS
    if ur cdrw is trash, then i recommend you go for a sony, acer/benq, plextor or imation as your next choice, these taiwanese drives maybe fast, and error-proof, but there not reliable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice