cdrw burns cd's, but will not read disks of any kind

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thompsano

hi there, thanks for taking time to read my first post, hope someone can lend some knowledge. i am running windows xp pro.

the problem is my cdrw drive can burn cd's no problem, but it will not read cd-roms of any kind when i put them in the burner.
i am only running the one cdrw drive. i have even tried swapping cdrw drives and the same thing happens.
i have checked the properties of this drive, its says everything is fine.
but if i try to install software, a new game, a photo or mp3 cd, the drive just spins and spins and nothing happens.
i also thought it was my autorun feature, but it is also enabled.
i would like to just format, and reinstall windows from scratch, but i am afraid to do it since my drive won't run my xp cd.
i am not sure what else to do.
please help!

thompsano

thanks so much

It can't read any cd's? Not even the ones you burned?

Try this as a check.. insert a good cd.. let it spin for a sec. Open windows explorer and navigate to your CD rom. Let me know if you can see the files on the cd that way. If you can, then it's probably the CD insertion setting that's set to do nothing when a CD is inserted. If you can't see anything, then we'll have to look into that further.

thompsano

i tried inserting a music cd and a game disk, and under windows explorer it shows nothing in my cd drive.
the disk still spins and the light on the drive just blinks like its about to do something, but never does.
thanks for the quick reply zerohour, can you think of anything else?

When you say it shows nothing, does it ask you to insert a cd into the cdrw drive? Or does it just show an empty cd?
What happens when you put in a cd that you burned?
What's the model of the cdrw drive?

thompsano

it doesn't matter if it is a burned cd or "real" cd, it shows as an empty cd under explorer.
the computer doesn't ask me to insert a cd either.
the model of the burner is TEAC CD-W54E

Hmm.. that's very strange. can you try using your burning software to browse your burned cd? I wonder if it's able to see it through the software.
Have you tried updating your firmware? Has it always been like this?

thompsano

no, its not an external drive, so i don't think that post applies.
i recieved an email back from the computer store that built my pc, this is what they had to say:

"Hi graham,

The rom might be defective, the optical has 2 optical, 1 for burning and 1 for reading. the reading optic might be the one thats defective.
If its still burning fine, you dont want to throw that away. Buy a new cd rom or dvd rom which is not expensive and install it, so you can read from the cd rom you bought and write on the old cd rw.
The best thing is to replace the cdrw directly with new one (preferably the combo, dvd and cdrw together).
Dont format your computer yet since your rom is not 100% working for sure."

this is all they can come up with, but i already tried using a different cd drive. whatever. thanks for your help zerohour, i really appreciatte it :)

Hmmm.. since you've tried a different cd drive, it could be the cable or your motherboard.. Do you have another IDE cable to hookup to the CD drive? Do you have access to another computer to plug this CD drive into and test?

thompsano

well i don't really have another computer to try the drive in, but i'm gonna pick up some new ide cables tomorrow and check it out. fingers crossed:)

thompsano

just tried the new ide cable, no change. i'm about ready to toss this thing, heheh
and just to make things even funnier, or frustrating, i realized my floppy isn't working either. so i guess i can't even make any boot disks to reformat xp.

Hello, dumb question, but is your cdrom drive setup as slave or master, and is it on the Harddrive IDE cable?

Try setting it as a slave drive, attached to the IDE cable with your harddrive as master. (because you know your hardrive is working fine, so try it on the same ide cable.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online