1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cdrw drive keeps disappearing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bruce I., Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bruce I.

Bruce I. Thread Starter

This a new system I built recently, my first build actually. Intel 875pbz board, 3.0 intel chip, 2 gigs 3200 ram.

One of my cddrives, the cdrw keeps disappearing. I have the 2 cd drives on the secondary ide channel, on one ide cable. The primary ide channel is for an ide storage drive and 2 sata raptors raid 0 are the boot up disks/programs.

I've changed cables, made sure auto detect is on in the bios yet most of the time, not all, the second cd drive does not want to show up in my computer, but is seen in the bios setup as existing.
    I've set the jumpers to master/ slave even cable select but the same issue.

Oh yes win2k...am I missing something simple ?

Thanks, Bruce

2. slipe

slipe

Sometimes messing around with no real insight can help. For starters I would make the burner master on the secondary and slave the regular CD drive to the storage drive on the primary. That is a better setup anyway for most uses.

3. Bruce I.

Bruce I. Thread Starter

Thanks, thats an objective suggestion, I'll give it a shot !

4. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Win2k. I had similar issue. I had Hard disk on Primary set to Master and Acer Burner set as Master on 2ndary IDE. The cdr burner would randomly not be recognized under device mangr,
    under win2k.
    Eventually; not long after that the Burner faultered completely.

May not be pertinent. Just a kicker i thought I'd share with you.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd also just remove the CD-ROM drive, since there's little reason to have two drives anyway. See if the CD-RW will stay put if it's the only optical drive on the cable.

6. Bruce I.

Bruce I. Thread Starter

Seems odd that the pc can't see both. Never had this problem on my other. For starters I'll flip the channels, put the cd's on the primary ide channel, the storage on secondary, then I'll work my way through the rest of the suggestions.

Thanks guys !

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice