1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW Drive not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deediva67, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deediva67

deediva67 Thread Starter

Hello guys....

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP.

A while back my D: Drive, which was my DVD/RW, disappeared from MY Computer and stopped working. I made no changes before that and never noticed it missing until I tried to run a music CD I had bought. It had started to give me trouble opening and closing sometimes when I pressed the button but it worked.

I decided to take the cdrw out of another computer I have and try that. I put in the new cdrw, went into device manager, deleted what was in there and restarted to reinstall the unit and drivers. When I check for driver updates it says the current drivers are up to date.

Still no D: showing up in My Computer.

Searching the forums today I noticed the CD GONE advice to another poster and tried that. Now the D: drive shows up in My Computer again (woot!) However, after inserting another CD in the drive, I get a little whirring, some blinking light, but still nothing.

Clicking on the D: drive in my computer only says "Please insert a disk in Drive D:" .

Any ideas what could be wrong? This is my only disk drive and it's making me crazy. :(

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try unintalling the drive and rebooting. Is this with the DVD-RW or the CD-RW drive?

3. deediva67

deediva67 Thread Starter

This is now the CDRW that I put in.

To uninstall do I just go to the device manager and delete it and reboot? or is there another way that is preferable?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nope, that's the way to do it.

5. deediva67

deediva67 Thread Starter

OK, I went into the device manager, opened my cd rom devices tab, and uninstalled the one listed in there. I rebooted. Usually, I see that the computer recognizes the new hardware message, but didnt see that. Anyhow, the drive is back in the device manager so it must have reinstalled.

Tried the CD again but still same result.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I wouold assume the drive is shot, happens a lot and they don't last real long. You could try a different cable , but there isn't much else to do.

7. deediva67

deediva67 Thread Starter

I will try another cable and I ordered another drive in case they are both shot.

Thanks.

8. TomLingard

TomLingard

9. deediva67

deediva67 Thread Starter

Thanks for reading my post and replying Tom. :)

I did see the post you directed me to and I did what it said about CD Gone. That did work to once again at least show the CD Drive in My Computer, however, the drive is still not recognizing or reading anything I put in it.

If there are any other suggestions I am willing to give them a try.

10. deediva67

deediva67 Thread Starter

Can someone tell me what the cable is called? I am such a newb and I need to know what I am looking/asking for.

Thanks! :p

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

ide cable

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice