Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDRW Drive not working

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hello guys....

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP.

A while back my D: Drive, which was my DVD/RW, disappeared from MY Computer and stopped working. I made no changes before that and never noticed it missing until I tried to run a music CD I had bought. It had started to give me trouble opening and closing sometimes when I pressed the button but it worked.

I decided to take the cdrw out of another computer I have and try that. I put in the new cdrw, went into device manager, deleted what was in there and restarted to reinstall the unit and drivers. When I check for driver updates it says the current drivers are up to date.

Still no D: showing up in My Computer.

Searching the forums today I noticed the CD GONE advice to another poster and tried that. Now the D: drive shows up in My Computer again (woot!) However, after inserting another CD in the drive, I get a little whirring, some blinking light, but still nothing.

Clicking on the D: drive in my computer only says "Please insert a disk in Drive D:" .

Any ideas what could be wrong? This is my only disk drive and it's making me crazy. :(

See less See more
#5 ·
OK, I went into the device manager, opened my cd rom devices tab, and uninstalled the one listed in there. I rebooted. Usually, I see that the computer recognizes the new hardware message, but didnt see that. Anyhow, the drive is back in the device manager so it must have reinstalled.

Tried the CD again but still same result.

#9 ·
Thanks for reading my post and replying Tom. :)

I did see the post you directed me to and I did what it said about CD Gone. That did work to once again at least show the CD Drive in My Computer, however, the drive is still not recognizing or reading anything I put in it.

If there are any other suggestions I am willing to give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.