1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guitarist968, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

I want to put a CDRW drive in my older computer. How hard is it to do? Is there a way for me to get instructions on how to do it?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How old is older?

It's not that hard. You have to check to see if you have a place for it, of course. How many drives are in the computer now? I take it you have an extra bay drive to put it into, correct?

3. guitarist968

It is a 700mhz Celeron Win98 Computer. There is a place for it. I just needed to know how to install one.

4. ~Candy~

You have two options. You can slave it off the hard drive, if nothing is connected to the second connector there, or you can make it the master on the secondardy IDE. The second option usually is the better choice, if you only have a hard drive and the cdrw.

5. guitarist968

Ok I lost you there. I don't know too much about the hardware of computers. Could you explain a little easier? Sorry...

6. ~Candy~

It'll help if you open the case and have a look around. You'll see some flat gray cables, one coming from the floppy drive to the motherboard, and another one coming from the back of the hard drive to the motherboard. That one should have a second connector on it. Sometimes they don't though. In that case you'll use the gray cable that comes with the CDRW drive itself and just hook it to the second connector on the motherboard, right beside where the hard drive is plugging into. Usually the drives come with easy to follow installation instructions too.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice