1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW Error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mckenna719, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mckenna719

mckenna719 Thread Starter

I just installed a new OptoRite CDRW in my Dell computer and everything installed fine. I also installed the Nero 5.5 software that came with the CDRW. When I go to Burn a CD, It tells me that my source and destination drives are connected to the same IDE Bus and advises me to connect them to different Busses. I don’t know what they mean by this? I hooked my DVD and CDRW up to the same Cable just like it showed in the installation manual and set my cdrw as master and my dvd as a slave.

2. brianF

brianF

Your trying to do a burn on the fly and nero will give you that message. It's because both devices you are going to use, the burner, and the dvd source drive are on the same cable. thus they will be using the same ide channel and it will probably overload the ide causing a buffer underrun error.

two choices.

Move the dvd to the primary with the hard drive

Just uncheck the on the fly option, nero will write a disk image of the burn first to the hard drive, then burn the image from the hard drive to the cdrw.

It takes a little longer to do a disk image but it is a safer way to burn.

3. esdxc37

esdxc37

i'm afraid there's no easy way round this problem
    how many eide ports do you have on your motherboard
    if more than two get another cable and hook the cdrw to a different one
    while burning with 2 cdroms on the same cable the data gets held up and the cdrw is left waiting with nothing to do and gives what is called a buffer underun which leaves you with a coaster
    if your cdrw supports burnproof you should be alll right
    otherwise you need another eide controller

4. esdxc37

esdxc37

ok brian you just got in there before me

what brian says is true you can write the image to disc first thus avoiding buffer underuns(and from a quick search yours is not burnproof)so if you only have 2 eide slots do what brian said.
    but its a most unsatisfactory way round the problem as it only adds to the time burning

if you want to add another eide port goto http://www.highpoint-tech.com/
    I've been using their card for two years and its a lifesaver for someone whos cdrw only copies at 4 speed

5. slipe

slipe

Another alternative is to just ignore the message. Do the tests in Nero for the DAE output of your DVD drive. If you can record on the fly at a speed supported by the drive you can just ignore the warning as moving things around will not improve anything.

DAE is the digital audio extraction speed of the drive and tells you how fast it will provide data for recording an audio CD on the fly directly from the DVD. You should be able to copy most program CDs at full speed. The digital audio extraction speed is never as fast as the rated read speed of the drive. You can’t record faster than that speed regardless of how your drives are positioned on the bus.

If your Nero tests say the DVD is able to provide audio at say 12X and you get buffer underruns or engage the burn-proof while you are recording at that speed it is worthwhile to move the DVD to the primary as slave to see if that helps.

6. mckenna719

mckenna719 Thread Starter

brianF,
    Thanks for the advise, I tried unchecking the "on the fly" box and this worked. My ide cable was not long enough off my hard drive to hook-up my dvd, so I still have it hooked to the same cable as my cdrw. Is there any advantage to going with another cable and using the "on the fly"? I also have a zip drive that is under repair which I stole the ide connector I was using for that and used it for the cdrw. The extra connector on my Hard drive ide cable will reach my zip, so I will use that when I get the zip drive back. Should I get a longer hard drive Ide cable and hook the hard drive with the dvd and then hook the cdrw with the zip drive? I assume I will be able to use the "on the fly" feature then.

Rick

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice