1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW filled and cannot read... HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fajohn2, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fajohn2

fajohn2 Thread Starter

I was loading files onto a CDRW disc and evidently exceeded the capacity of the disc. The disc was formatted using INCD. My "bad" habit was to load files and then send them to the trash. When I was loading some files that exceeded the disc capacity (I think) the Computer froze. When I rebooted and tried to look at the disk... poof... the trash was emptied (automatically without my ok). The disc shows as full when properties are viewed and shows 0 files when viewing the drive... go figure. I tried norton unerase but can't identify the specific files which were all in well named folders when the trash emptied. So... is there any possible way to get anything off this disc... without giving up my first born? Thanks for the help in advance... but I am feeling that this is probably one of those... can't fix that problems. I learned the hard way not to delete the files until the disc is finished and also backed up! :confused:

2. slipe

slipe

It seems you managed to lose your table of contents (TOC). InCD stores the TOC in RAM until it is written to the CD when you eject or close it. If the computer locks up or you lose power you end up without the TOC on the CD and you can’t read it.

Try Iso Buster: http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster1.htm It will likely let you get at them.

I can’t imagine dumping files and having their only source a packet written RW.

3. fajohn2

fajohn2 Thread Starter

You are correct... dear distinguished member. I have learned a lot about packet writing to CDRW in the past day or so and won't be relying on it in the future! Thanks for the help... I will try the suggested link.

Kind regards,

John

4. slipe

slipe

People find good use for packet writing. One of our members uses it for short term backup until he accumulates enough stuff to write a session to CDR with mastering software. Another of our members makes daily backups to RW and cycles them.

In both of these cases they aren’t erasing the original but just using the packet written RW as a short term backup. It is a better method than I use of just waiting until I have enough stuff to write a session to a CDR.

My only caveat is that it isn’t appropriate as the only source for something. Any time the formatted RW is in the drive your data is subject to loss of TOC, erasing or overwriting, viruses or just packet writing strangeness. Used right it is a good tool.

Good luck with Iso Buster. Let us know how it works out.

5. fajohn2

fajohn2 Thread Starter

Iso buster shows one file on the disk (approx the size of the disk). I believe there is no TOC and thus to get the files would require sending it to a special group for lots of $$$ which isn't justified in this case.

By the way, can you recommend any cd writing software as most trouble free and easiest to use... I will start backing up to regular cd's. After this experience, I may toss my cdwr's except for things where backup is not an issue, like you suggest. Thanks again.

John

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice