1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW install question...help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janragan, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am replacing a bad cdrw on a 3 month old computer... had to send the old one back and now don't remember which side the red strip on the connector band faces. This is a clone and all I see as far as a name on the cdrw is "RD52x24x52" on the sales receipt and "ASUSTek Computer Inc, Model No: CRW-5224A" on the cdrw sticker. The CPU is Intel Pentium-4 2.53 GHZ 533BUS. I have the receipt right here if there is any other info you might need. The plugs are not specific and will attach either way :( The connector is plugged onto the board with the red band to the right hand side.
    Thanks,
    Jan

2. PROJECT

PROJECT

the red line (pin 1) usually goes closest to the power connector on the CD-RW

3. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

Hi Project,
    Thanks for the quick reply! You say "usually"... will I mess up the drive if this one is backwards?
    Thanks again,
    Jan

4. srhoades

srhoades

I think all IDE cables have a tab where you can not plug it in wrong anymore.

5. Piringa

Piringa

If the cables are old and they don't have the tab that prevents you from connecting it the wrong way, I dont believe that it can mess up your drive. I actually connected one of my drives wrong and my pc wouldnt boot. I reconnected the drive to the ide cable this time the right way and all was HEAVENLY!! Hahahhaha heavenly.

ps. PROJECT and the other guy are correct in case you need a second opinion.

6. PROJECT

PROJECT

You wont damage any hardware if it is backwards it just wont work

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice