1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW - reads but doesn't burn

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itweb, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itweb

itweb Thread Starter

OK, here is the situation.

Since my old CDRW completely gave up (didn't read, write or recognized the CDs), I got a replacement, USED Lite-ON LTR-52327S model.

It reads CDs just fine, but I am not able to burn anything. And I tried it under XP Pro2, Knoppix, Mint and Mepis. I tried 3 or 4 different CD brands. Tried both regular data compliation and ISO. Tried CD Burning XP Pro, Nero 8 and couple more that I don't remember.

All software except for Nero, recognizes blank CDs as full, with zero bytes remaining. Nero, on the bottom tab shows empty disk but when I tried to burn, it pops up with disk full message.

Linux distro were giving me more error info, including possible DMA errors and buffer underruns.

Let me know if I need to paste some more info (error logs - what exactly should I do), but for starters here is my system:

Mobo: MSI 845E Max2
    BIOS Revision Number (if known): 5.70, MSI Live Update shows it as the newest one. It's kinda aged though (2003 or so?)
    CPU/Speed: 2.4GHZ Pentium 4
    RAM Manufacturer/Type/Module Size: Samsung 2x 512Mb
    CDRW/CDROM/DVD Manufacturer and Spec: Lite-On LTR-52327s
    Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP2
    Anything else you think is relevant: 2 hard drives on Primary IDE, 2 optical drives on Secondary IDE, CDRW is master.

I have tried a lot of things, including system re-installs, but lets keep all options open. One thing on the list is to try this CDRW out in a different box.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

One of the last things I would buy used is a cd burner, especially a cheap brand like Lite-on and it sounds like you have one that doesn't work also. If you tried a different cable and made sure the plugs are seated, that is about all you can do.

3. itweb

itweb Thread Starter

I know, but it's an old setup that will need replacement soon (most likely laptop), so I needed a cheap fix. And it was cheap enough to give it a try.

Yeah, it was tried in different cable/primary-secondary/master-slave setups.

One thing that bothers me is that it didn't work both at XP and Linux systems.

I am aware about registry fixes existence (tried couple) and it might be viable option.
    Trying the drive in another box is another, but I won't have time to do it for another couple days.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it doesn't work in Linux or Windows that rules out software and makes it most likely a dead drive unfortunately.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice