1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW Will Burn, Read Audio, not Read Data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freddyboy, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

Ok I just spent about three hours looking in this forum to solve my problem and no dice.

Here it goes: I'm running xp pro and I have a Norcent RW-481 48x12x48 CDRW probably not the best brand but oh well. I'm using Nero 6, InCD is not installed.

The problem: It does not recognize any data CD's or any CD's that the drive itself writes. I can play an audio CD, which elimates (I think) that the read lense is dirty and I can burn a CD, which elimates (I think) that my burn lense is dirty. I'm mentioning dirty lenses because a post in this forum suggested that a dirty lense may be the problem. So, before taking things apart I wanted to post in the forum the problem. Any other suggestions of what else I can look for?

More info: I even switched around the jumpers from cable select to master, same result.

I really believe I have a setting wrong in my XP pro operating system. Any suggestions????? :cronfused:

Lastly, The drive is recognized corectly in device manager

2. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

Have I stumped this forum or what?

3. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

~~~~~~~~~~Little help please!~~~~~~~~

4. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Are you finalizing the cd`s .

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you test the burned CD's in another computer. If they appear blank there too it might be that Nero is only doing a Simulation burn.

Also update to the latest version of Nero 6: http://www.nero.com/us/nero-up.php

6. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

Wow! I guess I'm not. Because I do not know what that process is? BTW The darn writer is now rejecting all blank CD's I put in to write. Now what?

Just checked before posting under new compilation under the burn tab - No I am not finalizing. Problem?

7. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Try another burn , and finalize the cd.

8. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

I have upgraded to Nero 6.0.0.23 and now my machine does not allow me to burn at all, everytime I try it spits out the CD telling me that "Please insert the disk to write to" The CD's I'm using are blank and ready to burn, they burn on my other machine.

They are set to finalize as well.

Well I'm so frustrated. If anyone can think of anything else please let me know what else it might be before I take the CD/RW apart.

Thanks All!

9. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Before you get out your tool belt , try burning a different brand .

10. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

OK, I'll leave the tool belt in the garage for now and go buy some different CD's. Hold on while I go to my neighborhood Fry's.

11. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

Well, I went to Fry's and got some new CD's. I really can't say if the other ones I was tryinig were the problem. I missed up in me deduction process because I did end up taking the CD/RW apart and cleaned its lense. NOW IT WORKS PERFECT!!! My house is no where near dust free and am quite aware of what dust can do to a system so I do open up my case every 6 months and blow out all the dust. But since you can't see if you actually did clean a CD lense is virtually impossible unless you take it apart.

I tried to avoid it but I went for it anyway and I'm now glad I did. I build my own systems but really didn't want to do it because of the little sticker on it saying "if removed the warranty is void".

If your careful it shouldn't be a problem, just go slow about it. If you decide to do this I suggest that you open the tray to the eject position; it's easier if you do - trust me.

Thanks everyone for all the help. One last question though, since I now have the latest version of Nero is it safe to leave all the settings at their default? There are so many options that it can get confusing. What are they all for? I'd rather just leave everything alone and burn CD's carefree.

Take [email protected],
    Fred

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/178029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice