1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDRW writing error & hanging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neuromancer, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Thread Starter

I'm having a problem primarily with my CDRW. It's gradually come on and become worse over the past few months. I can write information to a CD-R disk, however when I try to read the information back off the disk, some of the files are corrupt. This has become worse, until now almost all the files are corrupt on any CD I write. Also I've noticed that the computer will often hang when playing a game/installing software from a CD in my CDRW drive.
    I also have a DVD drive, and I very rarely have the same problem with it hanging if I run the same software or install from this.
    I have changed my CDRW drive as I initially thought it might be dud, but this hasn't cured the problem.
    I've run AVG 6.0 with the latest update and it can't find any viruses.
    I've tried various settings for DMA on and off ect none of which seem to make any difference.
    I've tried swapping the drives around (ie master/slave and which cable they share) but this hasn't helped either.
    I've taken it to three shops but the problem seems to stump them...

My current system is:
    Win 98SE
    1.2 Athlon
    756Mb memory
    ABIT KT7/KT7-RAID mother board
    primary master IBM HDD
    primary slave empty
    secondary master LITE-ON CD-RW
    secondary slave Compaq DVD-ROM

Anyone got any ideas?

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Have you tried replacing the ribbon cable? And have you moved the CDRW to primary slave?

MBN

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice