1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD's are REALLY warm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Horowitz, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Horowitz

Horowitz Thread Starter

Howdy,
    I just upgraded my 'puter to an Amd 2500 with a new asus A7N8X mobo.
    Everything is working great, cpu is running at around 40 C with stock cooling even after I overclocked it to 2 ghz... except both my cd drives (one a rw on a reg old cdrom) heat cd's up like crazy even after only a few minutes, which they did not do before the upgrade. They seem to be working fine though... Does anyone have any idea what could cause it? Maybe I plugged em in wrong or something? The temp inside the case does not seem warm at all either.
    Thanks for any help!

2. zeddy

zeddy

are you sure they are really and different, for e.g. a 52x CDrom will heat up disks.

3. n2gun

n2gun

It is natural for them to heat up. They are read by bouncing a laser beam off the disk. I would not worry too much if you can hold them.

4. Horowitz

Horowitz Thread Starter

The thing is its very much noticable ... my cdrw is 40x read and the reg cd is only like 24. The discs are way hotter than they would be after I would burn a cd before the upgrade, and that is only after having the disc in the drive for a few mins. I'm not really worried about these drives themselves just if its a symptom of another problem.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'd be concerned since if I read this right you're not just talking a freshly burned CD, right?

6. Horowitz

Horowitz Thread Starter

No sir, I was just installing a few little programs (winrar that kind of thing) and it was both drives which is what confuses me!

7. Cris_Cr0ss

Cris_Cr0ss

maybe the over clocking?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I wouldn't worry about it. I have one computer here that seems to get the CD's pretty warm, but it's never been an issue...

9. Horowitz

Horowitz Thread Starter

Good thought but it definately was happening before the overclock, and the cpu temp never touches 50c and the case and air coming out are not especially warm.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

Being plugged up wrong will not cause them to heat up, it is possible that the ambient heat will cause the CD to heat up, or dust somewhere on the drive itself ( maybe ? ), if you are concerned, take it apart and clean everything...

You could also install some 5.25-inch Hard Disk Drive Cooler fans over the CD-ROMS...

Thought of something else, if the CD-ROMS are over top of the hard drives, and if the new motherboard has a faster hard drive access than the old motherboard, the faster access could generate more heat to the hard drives and escalate up to the CD-ROMS ( just a theory )...

11. Horowitz

Horowitz Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the thought, they are above the hard drive so that is an interesting thought! I'm not sure if the hdd access is faster, I thought that was all related to the speed of the hdd (7200) ?

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Yes well

Don't know how old the other motherboard was, but if it accessed at say ATA 66, and the new one accessed at ATA 100, then there would be more heat ( doesn't matter how fast the hard drive RPM's are, if the motherboard's IDE controller is slow, then it is going to access the hard drive as fast as the controller allows )...

13. griffinspc

griffinspc

I guess it boils down (pun intended :D ) to what that statement really means. Your definition of "like crazy" and ours is hard to quantify so we really can't know how hot is hot.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!