CDs skip in Win Media Player, DVDs skip everywhere

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dynamitestee

Hi,

This problem just started yesterday (or at least that's when I noticed it), and I didn't make any changes on my computer.

Audio CD's skip heavily (i.e. every second or two) in Windows Media Player, but play fine in WinAmp (with the exception that when I'm listening to a CD in WinAmp, the music sometimes stutters or stops temporarily when I carry out certain tasks in QuarkXPress).

DVD's put in the same drive skip in every player I've tried.

Well, I thought it was a hardware problem at first, but when the cds worked fine in WinAmp, that kind of ruled that out, right?

Compaq Presario 061
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
100.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
32.43 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492C [CD-ROM drive]

It may be useful to note that my monitor has been messed up for about a week (dark waves across the screen, streaks from any dark colors). It's an old monitor, so it could just be that it's bad, but I'm also afraid it could be something more serious now that I'm having problems with the cd/dvd drive.

Unfortunately, I barely have enough money to eat (and have internet only through the luck of my current situation) so swapping anything out is not going to be an option.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Since you also had the monitor problem it sounds that it might be a problem with the motherboard. check on the mobo manufacturers site to see if their is an upated driver.

This doenst sound like a coincidence. Does the timing of the display issues talley with sound hassles? It may not be the moniter, but the display adapter, in which case this is all closely tied up with directx which is used to deliver av content. You will need to test this by trying another moniter. If you still have streaks then its the display adapter and not the moniter. The display adapter may be an on baord solution of a PCI or AGP card.

I think it unlikely that a monitor issue will affect sound ( um your sound isnt routed through moniter speakers or anything is it?). If it is the display adapter at fault, it may have screwed software or dying hardware. Parts of windows can quietly be lost during power cuts and similar. Reinstalling the display driver, and directx would be a good place to start if going down this route. Failing that replacing the card.

Others may have more ideas.

HTH

P

open the device manager and check the advanced settings of your IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers. the transfer mode should be set to 'DMA (if available)'.

what is the current transfer mode for your optical drive?

Try clicking Start \ Run and type dxdiag Run the display and sound tests and see if you get the same results.

dynamitestee

Thanks for all the replies.

I tried everything recommended, but nothing worked [and the transfer mode is already 'DMA (if available)']

My sound does run through speakers in the monitor, but how could that be the problem? CDs play fine in WinAMP, and only skip in Media Player. If it was a hardware problem, that couldn't be the case, right?

How would I know if my motherboard is going bad?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You looked at the desired setting, what is the actual mode the drives are running in?

Tell us what appears in Current Transfer Mode, not Desired Transfer mode.

Attachments

dynamitestee

Wow, how about this: if I rip .mp3s from a cd in windows media player, then open the mp3s, they play fine!!

How can this be explained??

You looked at the desired setting, what is the actual mode the drives are running in?

Tell us what appears in Current Transfer Mode, not Desired Transfer mode.
There are two entries for each Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel.

Primary IDC Channel entry #1 = Ultra DMA Mode 5
Primary IDC Channel entry #2 = Not Applicable

Secondary IDC Channel entry #1 = Not Applicable
Secondary IDC Channel entry #2 = PIO Mode

Not sure how to tell which applies to the CD/DVD drive

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can tell you right now, the one running in PIO mode is your CD/DVD drive, and it's also the reason you're having problems.

The reason that the ripped music works is that it's playing from the hard disk, which is happily running in UDMA5 mode.

Try re-reading post #8, which provides the solution to this problem.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Great, thanks for the feedback.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online