1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd's work fine, but d:/ wont work for some reason for starcraft, any starcraft fans??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fretway, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fretway

fretway Thread Starter

I just bought starcraft today, "Love that game" wen i put it in the d:/ it starts to load but just keeps on spiining the cd like it cant read it or something, its brand new cd. and audio cd's work fine, even warcraft worked wen i tried it, I dont understand, I have a dell 4600 this should not be? Any suggestions??

2. Phamas

Phamas

loved starcraft but im not quite sure exactly what your problem is. little more info please do you mean like it continues to spin but nothing loads?

3. fretway

fretway Thread Starter

yeah, drive starts spinning the cd, but never gets past that, just keeps spinning it at high speeds,

4. Phamas

Phamas

all i can say is reinstall and try it again you can always call those bums at blizzard tech support but i dont even know if they will give u support for SC and BW anymore

5. fretway

fretway Thread Starter

wait no. Thats my point, I am unable to even install it.

6. norton850

norton850

See if the CD will work in another CD drive.

7. Phamas

Phamas

oh well yeah if u got another drive try that, if it doesnt work try to return the discs and explain your situation if there not idiots with the open software policy u can return them, if not try to make a burned copy

8. fretway

fretway Thread Starter

yeah the cd worked on my sisters laptop, so i really dont understand now.
    So i tried "start>run>d:/" and wat happened was, (d:/ Not Responding)

9. norton850

norton850

From time to time certain CD's will not run on a certain drive. In My Computer if you right click on the drive or the starcraft icon do you get a menu of choices?

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Starcraft uses an oversized cd as a form of copy protection. This means that more data is on the cd than a older cd could originally hold. Some old cd-roms had lasers that could not reach the areas of the disk that the additional data was located at, therefore the game wouldn't work. Also, starcraft used a form of seriallization on it's CD's as a form of copy protection. A serial number is recorded onto the disk in a region that can be read but not written to. If your drive can't find that info, the game won't work.

You may be able to get the game to work in the drive by updating the drives firmware.

11. fretway

fretway Thread Starter

ok i got it to finally work after letting the drive run for a while, after several minutes it finally worked. but however i have a different problem that occured during the game. not sure how to describe this. The color on the screen changed, there were areas that the color seemed like 8 bit. is it something with my computer?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/320963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice