1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CDSETUP.EXE and WIN.INI

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DANNYJUNIOR, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DANNYJUNIOR

DANNYJUNIOR Thread Starter

I get a message during start up that says CDSETUP.EXE
    could not run, and when I close the error message-another
    appears saying I should fix the problem, or remove reference of
    it in the WIN.INI file. What do I do? How do I do it?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG Danny.

You have a number of options. If you have Win98 or WinME you can run msconfig and click on the Win.ini tab. Look at the load= and run= lines and uncheck the one that references cdsetup.exe

Alternately you can run win.ini from start>run. It will open in Notepad. You can place a semicolon as the first character in the line where that is referenced to keep it from executing. Or you can simply remove the reference and leave

run=
    load=

empty, with nothing after it. That's what I would do really, as this file is not required for anything in Windows.

3. DANNYJUNIOR

DANNYJUNIOR Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. Problem solved although there are some
    others with this system that I will be throwing out here soon.
    I am having many fatal exception errors in some VXD something or other, and a digital camera I have no longer works through desktop (unless I capture through DOS, and that doesn't give me the options that come with the software) even after unin and reinstalling the cam's software. The start up screen pops up...then comp freezes till I cntrl-alt-del. (warning says IBM PC Cam (not responding).

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad to hear that one is disposed of. For the new problems you should start a separate topic for what appears to be each distinct issue. Always give information about your operating system (windows version) and basic system specs. For VxD or any other error messages give the full error message and address and when they occur.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice