ceanup utility

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jerseyjohn

Can anyone out there recomend a cleanup utility that can delete unused files or files left over from uninstal programs?

I think a program that might take care of your situation would be CleanSweep. It has an uninstall wizard to get rid of files from programs that you get tired of. I think that should do the trick.

I have an old version of Norton Cleansweep and it seems to do everything it claims and backs stuff up as well in case you change your mind. I let it delete things and then delete the backup later.

I don't know if it's still available as a single product though, you might have to buy Systemworks which is no good if you don't need the other components.

RegCleaner should take care of the other stuff uninstallers leave behind but, you need to be clear that you understand what you're doing before you use it. Also, the writer of RegCleaner now recommends that you use the Registry cleaning tool in his jv16 PowerTools, which he says, is safer to use. Check out his site;
http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml

I am not by any means an expert or a power user and I have used both these tools without problems (so far!). Registry cleaning, done incorrectly, will screw your system up big time. It is not a 'one click' solution to your problems and the program cannot decide for you what is or is not safe to delete.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online