1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Celeron 2.2 Chip & Asus P4B266-C display problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hastings, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hastings

hastings Thread Starter

Hi All,

Today I upgraded my processor on my main PC to a P4 2.80 from a Celeron 2.2.

I went to put the Celeron in my backup PC (Asus P4B266-C mobo) and was unable to get a monitor display. I originally had a Celeron 1.7 processor in, and works fine when I put it back in place of the 2.2. Both processors, other than clock speed, are the same (400 FSB, L2 128K Cache). I have the latest (and last for this board) bios 1006 in. Checking on Asus' CPU compatibility page has the Celeron 2.2 listed as compatable with this board with this bios. All peripherals are properly seated in the mobo.

Could this be a memory problem? My stats are as follows:

Win98SE
    512MB RAM
    10GB HDD
    Nvidia 5200FX 128MB RAM
    SBLive! card
    Adaptec SCSI controller
    3com 56K modem

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Mike T.

2. winbob

winbob

H,

So, you made absolutely NO BIOS CHANGES?

Is it possible that you nudged the video card while working on the processor change out? Reseat it just to make sure.

Also check the Display's cable connection...right & tight???

3. hastings

hastings Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my post.

There have been no BIOS changes. The update was put in several months ago. All video card/cable connections are secure. I also tried only 1 stick of memory, the video card and the cpu, same result, no display. Would it make sense to try the BIOS at default settings, and/or reload the BIOS? I thought also the possibilty of a memory issue, as the 512MB consists of one 256MB PC2700 (this should be backward compatable) and one 256MB PC2100 (this stick tried alone w/cpu & video card). All works fine w/the 1.7 Ghz cpu in and all memory is recognised.

In 'the perfect world' I should see the bios detect the cpu change so I can make the adjustment, but the monitor goes into 'power saving' mode.

Am open to any other suggestions.

Cheers,
    Mike T.

4. winbob

winbob

I looked at the boards specs:

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4b266-c/overview.htm

And the fastest memory listed is PC2100 !!! :eek:

Don't know what the implications are with PC2700???

The wording in your last Post was a little confusing...did both sticks work with the 1.7 chip???

You also said,"Would it make sense to try the BIOS at default settings, and/or reload the BIOS? "

Isn't the BIOS already at its Default settings for anything related to the Processor, FSB, and Memory???

5. hastings

hastings Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

Believe it or not, both sticks ARE recognised with the 1.7 chip, but I'll pull the PC2700 stick and leave the PC2100 in. Processor BIOS settings have never been touched other than clock speed except when it is required by the BIOS due to the cpu switch. The mobo is in 'jumper free' mode; no jumpers have been changed from their defaults.

When I pulled all components out except for the video card, cpu & memory, the PC2100 was the stick that I left in to do the test. The 1.7 is currently in the backup unit and all works as before.

Will try this again with my main PC monitor to see if I get the same result.

Cheers,
    Mike T.

6. winbob

winbob

"Processor BIOS settings have never been touched other than clock speed except when it is required by the BIOS due to the cpu switch."

What did you change? You may have inadvertantly upped the PCI Bus speed and affected the Video Card? Or are you using AGP Card?

Not sure how sensitive the AGP slot is to Bus changes...I don't do OC'ing.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. hastings

hastings Thread Starter

Hi Winbob & Triple6

To answer Winbob's reply - I'm using an agp card (I also do not overclock). The only changes to BIOS were disabling on-screen logo, boot sequence changed, using agp video card setting instead of pci card setting. This video card has 128MB ram, graphics apeture size was set to 32mb. All other settings were at default.

To answer Triple6's reply - I tried manually setting the jumpers, but to no avail. I also reset all BIOS settings to default configuration with no luck. I also went to Intel's site to do a processor comparison; all are identical except for clock speed.

I also put the 2.2 back in the main pc to make sure it still worked. Worked with no problems.

Everything is back as it originally was with the 1.7 celeron cpu in. I'm going to chalk this one up to experience, as this is my backup PC and not the main one.

Thank you both for your time and assistance on this. It is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mike T.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice