1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Celeron acceptable?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by TomDF255, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TomDF255

TomDF255 Thread Starter

I saw an an for an HP computer that uses an Intel Celeron 1.1GHz CPU. It came with quite a bit and was fairlt cheap. But I'm not sure about the Celeron chip. Is it an acceptable CPU for the average user such as myself. I do not play many games at all and don't work with graphics programs. Pretty much basic, simple stuff. I haven't decided yet if I want to buy a new one or try to upgrade the one I have (AMD K6-2, 500mhz, 128MB RAM, 40 gig HD), but I'd like some input to help me think this through. Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

2. TechChick

TechChick

A celeron would be fine for your needs, but why would you want to upgrade at all? Your computer has enough processing power, enough memory, and enough hard drive space already. If there's a specific reason you want to upgrade, then maybe a celeron isn't for you.

3. TomDF255

TomDF255 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, TechChick! Those are just some of the thought going through my wee brain as I try to decide if I should upgrade. It's just that my machine seems to run a bit slow, plus when I had it in a shop to be worked on (I was having trouble with email being resent over and over) the tech there mentioned that it's a slow machine and that it may be time to buy a new one. So I've simply been thinking about it and looking at the prices in the ads. I'll most likely hold off for a year before I do anything, if I do anything at all. Do you know of a site where I can read about the different cpu's and the comparisons between them?

4. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

5. oscar51

oscar51

Tom:

The system you want to leave behind is one I would consider moving up to. I'm currently running Win98SE on a 366Mz Celeron with 64Mb RAM and a 6.6Gb Maxtor HD only 2/3 full. It does everything I want it to do as fast as I could wish. I don't do the exotic games with the fancy graphics so I don't know how it would do on them.

I assume you have done the usual scandisk/defrag routine after deleting the files in your c:\windows\temp directory et al. Simple housecleaning can do quite a bit of good.

6. TomDF255

TomDF255 Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! Another quick question. Maybe my computer works fine and is actually pretty fast, but I just want and expect more. However, maybe images are slow to appear on my screen simply because I have a slow or poor video card. Does a video card have much of an effect on how a computer appears to perform, speed wise?

I'm not exactly sure how to read the system information, especially since nothing is listed specifically as a "video card", but these two are listed under what I believe may be it. Or possibly the monitor.
    S 3 ViRGE PCI (325), and
    3Dfx VooDoo

Either of these my video card? If so, is it any good or should I upgrade (assuming this has anything to do with what I perceive as sluggishness of my computer)?

7. deuce

deuce

It sounds like you are using a PCI vid card.. If you decide to stick with this one, I would check to see if you support AGP 4x (accelerated graphics port) and if you do definately upgrade to that. You can get some good ones for around $50 to $60. That will show much improvement for just about anything. As for the computer, if you don't mind spending the money, go for it. I don't particularily like HP, but that is just my opinion. They target a specific market and do it well, and make a good product. (it just isn't for me) Celerons are very good value (bascially the same chip as the PIII except for one slight difference) and as a 900 Mhz cpu goes for about $45 retail, I can imagine that a 1.1 Ghz isn't too much more. You will see significant improvement with a 1.1 Ghz, but as TechChick pointed out, your computer now shouold still be chugging along quite nicely. I would keep it it if were me, but then again if I had the money I would get the other one just because it would be noticably faster. In other words... not necessary since your 500 is still doing well (so we presume)... but the 1.1 would make a nice upgrade. :)

8. RandyG

RandyG

Only if you are playing games or using graphics programs.

The STB virge is your graphics card, and the Voodoo card is a games accelerator card. You can open your case up and see if you have an AGP slot. It will be at the top of the PCI slots, and be smaller. Purchasing a new Graphics card with higher memory could very well help with games.

Your system specifications are high enough to last you, even playing Todays games (except maybe your Graphics card) for a while longer. Waiting another year will see that same celeron Processor machine drop by a few hundred.

If you want to specifically see what your Graphics cards are, you should refer back to your order reciept. If you purchased the computer from a company, they very well may still have the specifications on file. You could also Right-click your My Computer icon and select Properties. Click the Device Manager tab, and look under Display Adapters.

As to why your system is running slowly, it might have nothing to do with anything we have posted here. You might be low on system resources, which has nothing to do with your HDD or RAM. Too many things running at Startup can do this. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Resource meter. This will put a little meter near your clock, and you can double-click it to expand it. What is listed?

9. TomDF255

TomDF255 Thread Starter

After following all the other steps I get to the "Resource Meter". step. But it's not there. I run WindowsMe. Am I missing something I should have? Anyway, I rarely if ever run two or more programs at the same time. Does it have anything to do with what is in the start-up, even if I don't run any of the programs? Maybe I'm just expecting too much. I'll probably wait a year, buy a new one and just blown away by the speed at that time. I'll be happy for ... well ... a few months anyway, when the one I just bought is already outdated <vbg>.

10. tes3

tes3

All I can say is that I had an HP Celeron, ~what a turkey~. I had nothing but problems with that machine getting support was next to impossible. The only positive purpose for that machine is a 200 yard target and someday I will use it as such. That machine taught me never buy HP.

:eek: :( :eek: :( :eek: :(

11. deuce

deuce

HP targets a real specific area of the market and they do it well... only thing is... I have yet to figure out what are that is. :rolleyes: I don't really like HP all that much, but they aren't that bad of a pc. Not like compaq... :rolleyes: those are just plain bizzare. :rolleyes:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice