1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Celeron Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tarq, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

I have had my computer three years it's a Packard Bell iConnect 1200. Since I originally bought it I have upgraded the RAM to 128MB (something I plan to do again to 256 then 512) and installed a new 80GB HDD, CDRW and upgraded to Windows XP. Until recently I only had MSN Messenger loading in the system tray at startup but a couple of months ago I installed AVG Anti-virus and ZoneAlarm to protect my computer whilst online. This has slowed my computer down considerably when loading up and generally it takes a while to do most things.

I still have a 700MHZ Intel Celeron processor as I thought to upgrade that I would need to buy a whole new motherboard and therefore new RAM etc. Is this true? Would any of the celerons on this site be compatible with my machine (e.g. I can take my old one out and replace it with that) and if I did upgrade that and the RAM would I notice a considerable difference?

Thanks Tarq

2. pronute

pronute

No you have a socket 370 motherboard and the processors on that page are socket 478. The highest frequency Celeron for your motherboard is 900 MHz. If your motherboard has a 66 MHz to 133MHz system clock then you can go up to a P3 1 GHz, however it would not be much of a performance hike, and Packard Bell computer cases are proprietary you can not install a standard ATX motherboard in them and the power supply is under powered and proprietary also and will not work with anything else. It would seem that your problem is not hardware related, you have to many processes running in the background. When you installed the anti virus software that was the straw that broke the camels back, try leaning out your background processes.

3. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

Do you mean that I could never upgrade my motherboard or processor? Only RAM, HDD etc?

Thanks for your reply...
    Tarq

4. pronute

pronute

Yes you can upgrade your your motherboard and processor you will need a standard ATX case and a Intel/AMD compatible PSU with a minumum 350W rating.

5. rmay635703

rmay635703

Most likely he can go to 1.1ghz if he can find a FCPGA coppermine and not the FCPGA2 tualatin celeron.

Otherwise with a socket adapter 1.4ghz may be possible if his board supports 100mhz.
    http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/5525-1.htm

Cheers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice