Cell home hot spot used for internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

medici712

Good Afternoon.
To save money we are considering dropping Comcast internet service and going with a cell phone provider ( I don't know which provider the wife is looking at ) that claims to create an in home hot spot and that computers could use that to get on the internet.
My questions are these : Would tapping into the cell network be easy and is the network created by the cell provider likely to be anywhere near as fast or reliable as Xfinity ?
As always, I'm very grateful to anyone that takes the time to read and respond......Thank you

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It really depends on what your usage profile is. I know the cell phone wars are starting to heat up and unlimited data is being thrown around. But for mobile hot spots like MiFi's, there is a definite data cap as you have to purchase plans based on a data cap per month. You are also at the mercy of the towers the cell carrier has in your area and how many devices are connected to it. When you connect to a particular tower, you're sharing the land line circuit with everyone who is also connected to that tower.

Comcast isn't so bad and I have them for Internet service at my primary residence. I have Verizon for mobile broadband that I use for work. I have used it on occasions at my vacation property prior to having Mediacom service installed there. The little streaming I did quickly consumed half of my 4GB data plan limit in about 2 hours. Verizon is charging for their 4GB service $50 per month not including taxes. I don't think you're going to save any money by going cellular over what Comcast will offer.

If you haven't done this, you can call periodically and ask for a discount on your service. I did this a few months ago using the case that I've been a long time customer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online