1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cell movement in excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lauriehx, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lauriehx

lauriehx Thread Starter

I would like to know if it is possible to set up tabs so that I can hit the tab button and go from (eg) A3 to G7 to B18 with out setting up buttons

2. tinylittle

tinylittle

I am not aware of any method of using tabs to move between non-adjacent cells.

You may want to try this however:

Select the object cell by clicking on it. Then click in the name box and assign a name to it. The name box is to the left of the formula bar. Repeat this procedure for all the object cells. When you want to move among these cells just click the drop down box (in the name box) and click on the name. You will be taken to the appropriate cell.

A little cumbersome but much faster than cursoring.

Hope this helps.

3. Tom Urtis

Tom Urtis

Another way to Tab to certain cells and skip over others:

(1) Select the starting cell. Press and hold the Ctrl key.
    (2) Click each cell that you will want to go to next, in the order that you will want.
    (3) Click View > Custom Views.
    (4) Click "Add", name it something such as "SpecialCellsOrder", and click OK.
    (5) Save the workbook.

To utilize that tab order, click on View > Custom View, select "SpecialCellsOrder", and click Show, or you could assign a shortcut key to this line of code:

ActiveWorkbook.CustomViews("SpecialCellsOrder").Show

There is a way in VBA to accomplish steps 1 thru 5, but it's more trouble than it's worth, especially if other users in the future will want to modify the tab order.

4. RastaMan

RastaMan

Hello All,
    I am running Office '97. Is there a way to move to another cell without it being to the right or down i.e. I created a form but I would like to be able to tab to the next required field instead of to the right or down

Thnx,
    Rasta

5. lauriehx

lauriehx Thread Starter

Another way to Tab to certain cells and skip over others:

(1) Select the starting cell. Press and hold the Ctrl key.
    (2) Click each cell that you will want to go to next, in the order that you will want.
    (3) Click View > Custom Views.
    (4) Click "Add", name it something such as "SpecialCellsOrder", and click OK.
    (5) Save the workbook.

To utilize that tab order, click on View > Custom View, select "SpecialCellsOrder", and click Show, or you could assign a shortcut key to this line of code:

ActiveWorkbook.CustomViews("SpecialCellsOrder").Show

There is a way in VBA to accomplish steps 1 thru 5, but it's more trouble than it's worth, especially if other users in the future will want to modify the tab order.

6. drdrew1469

drdrew1469

The easiest way I've found to do this with an Excel form is to hold "CTRL" and select all the cells you want to be able to tab to and then right-click, go to Format Cells. On the Protection tab uncheck the "Locked" box. Apply and OK then protect your sheet.

Hope that helps,

Drew

7. 2kmoL

2kmoL

.....help..... i would like to know how can i move from (eg) cell D4 to cell A1 after pressing the enter key..... thnx!

8. Gram123

Gram123

2kmol - Just press Ctrl + Home

Gram

9. 2kmoL

2kmoL

i mean (eg) D5 to A6, D6 to A7, D7 to A8.... coz im using a scanner, i wondring if there is anyway it could go back to A from D after scanning/hitting return key. thnx!

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    That requires special VBA coding, 2kmol. I don't know how to do that, but you really ought to ask your question separately and title it "Need Excel VBA to tab to specific cells" I think you'll have better luck.

11. XL Guru

XL Guru

Assuming your Enter key is set to move selection to the right.

Rightclick the sheet tab, choose View Code, paste this into the sheet module.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Column = 5 Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 1 - Target.Column).Select
    End If
    End Sub

There are a couple of NBs -

1. If you type something in column D cell then press DownArrow or LeftArrow it won't fire.

2. If you type something in column D cell then click on column F cell it won't fire.

So essentially it's just a li'l thing to help yourself with input, not eg: to strongarm other users.

HTH,
    Andy

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice