1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Censorship in schools

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by PCG342, Feb 10, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. PCG342

PCG342 Banned Thread Starter

As noted in another thread, I am currently writing a paper about censorship in schools. This is a dangerously broad topic, I'm aware, but in the course of a discussion about my research, I realized just how strongly I feel about the subject. To a degree, I stand for it. Namely when it comes to clothing, actions, and speech. There's got to be a line somewhere. The rest of it? Should be handled at the parents' discretion. If they don't want their kid reading As I Lay Dying, Go Ask Alice, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings and the like, they should take it up with the child, not the school. And of teaching kids about creationism/evolution, abortion and such other "sensitive" topics? Well, why not let them take a subjective stance? See what sounds right. Let them believe what they believe. It's a bit like the statement in my profile. Let the students see where the chips fall.
    Out of curiosity, what are your views on the subject, ladies and gentlemen? Be concise, be wordy, be polite, be rude. [I really wish you wouldn't]

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Isnt one of the wonderful things about being at school is that your mind is open to new ideas and just about everything this world has to offer .
    Why censor it ???
    Cant understand it .. but as it is 12.20 am i have lost my glass slipper. my coach has turned into a pumpkin and my coachmen are white mice i will sleep on it and come up with a bit more in the morning

3. katonca

katonca

Censoring books and other in school media should be left up to the parents. My son brought home a list of required reading during one of his middle school years. It was nice to see a list of what the kids were expected to read and an option to opt out of a book the parents were uncomfortable with.

I don't think youth (up to the teenage years) have the maturity to decide for themselves what is appropriate or not. And sometimes teachers and parents don't see eye to eye on what should be read.

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

The schools should have full control though on what is in the curriculum.. and should be trusted to make the decisions

5. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

the schools can't do nothing right and don't care.For exsample here on the coldest day this year ALL schools were closed due to the cold except troy schools. Kids froze that had to walk to school and parents were upset. 50 kids walked out of the school as protest and were arrested.

6. PCG342

I'm somewhat unclear on your stance here; do you support the students' actions? I don't understand why they'd hold class when it's too cold to run the buses; as I'm sure you're probably aware, diesel fuel turns into gel below certain temperatures. Most schools say, "If the buses can't run, we just won't hold class today." No sense in teaching only a few.

7. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    All they have to do is add fuel conditioner and the problem is eliminated. Of course they are " attached " to a school and wouldn't know that. ;)

8. PCG342

That costs more money, therefore isn't worth it. :p

9. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Sounds like a good idea katonca...when it comes to the teaching curriculum with subjects like evolution, I am not so sure though.

10. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

I do remember talking to my daughter about some of the reading material she got her hands on. One was a book about witchcraft:( . Actually, she showed me the book and asked my opinion.
    I leafed through it, and was not encouraged by the way it was being presented...it seemed like it was enticing readers to play with it, and I questioned her about her interest in the subject.
    I told her my concerns, and also that I knew she would probably sneak and read it if I strictly prohibited it.... :( ...so we talked until she voluntarily got rid of the book.

11. buck52

buck52 Banned

That is perhaps the dumbest/stupidest thing I have ever heard...

sorry if that offends you but... tough ... teachers are not near as smart as you obviously think, nor are the admins above them... Parents... some, not all, should have a say in what is taught...much more attention should be paid to the real world/life

12. PCG342

Buck, the teachers are usually pretty liberal about their curriculum. Hell, we were reading stuff like Flowers for Algernon [one of my favorites, by the way] in seventh grade, and by my Junior year, things like The Great Gatsby

13. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

All we got was Shakespeare

14. PCG342

That was Freshman year.

15. PCG342

Should I add that my dear friend, the high school librarian, issues a "suggested reading list" for college-bound students based on former students' statements? We're required to read at least three this year, including books such as:

The Slaughterhouse V - Kurt Vonnegut
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
    The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
    Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

That's just a few, but you get the idea. Our library contains numerous works by King, Koontz, and even a few by Chuck Palahniuk, such as Invisible Monsters and Fight Club.
    You can even check out movies, provided you're seventeen or older, or you have parental permission, such as "Citizen Kane" and "Apocalypse Now". [Did I just inadvertently name two Brando films?]
    Is this wrong? Is it bad? Objectionable? Or is it just fine?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice