1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CenturyLink, Sony VAIO, Bit Defender Incompatibilities?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by VLM34750, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VLM34750

VLM34750 Thread Starter

OS Version:Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    ProcessorCount: 4
    RAM: 3758 Mb
    GraphicsCard: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1751 Mb
    Hard Drives:C: Total - 467850 MB, Free - 380453 MB;
    Motherboard:Sony Corporation, VAIO
    Antivirus:Bitdefender Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

We moved to north of Phoenix, AZ, about 3 weeks ago. We subscribed to CenturyLink DSL service andreceived a ZyXEL PK5001Z modem. I cannotget the Internet connection to work properly from my Sony VAIO laptop (Windows7), whether it is tethered or wifi-connected. The speed tests give acceptable figures: around 10 Mbps on download and 0.6 Mbps on upload. That'd be fine if the Web site pagesdisplayed correctly and completely, and the links from one page to anotherworked. That is not the case.
    a. The welcome screenin AOL freezes at the first frame in the rotation and the side frames showblank squares with a red x in the corner instead of the picture.

b. IE 9 on many websites (e.g., Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot, Consumer Reports) fails to displaypages after following 3 links and fails to return to the previous page with thereturn arrow. Lots of "Internet Explorercannot display the web page" and "problem while loadingimage". Sometimes I think I see a long cryptic message with DNS ERROR in the middle.
    There are several baffling aspects of this situation:
    1) The Sony VAIOlaptop exhibits no problems displaying the same web pages when connected toInternet via a Verizon Wireless modem which offers a far slower connectionspeed. All works fine with it.

2) The Sony VAIOlaptop had no problem last summer connecting via wifi to an Orange DSL modem,or several different public wifi sources.

3) Our HP laptop, inexactly the same position – tethered or wifi in the same location --, displaysall web pages as they should be and all links work. The HP runs the same software: Windows 7, IE 9, and the same Bit Defender Internetsecurity suite.
    4) The one time Itried the Sony VAIO with wifi on a COX cable modem, all worked just fine.

CenturyLink phone support can't or won't help. Since the HP laptop works, they say it has tobe my Sony VAIO problem.
    Sony Tech Support spent 3 hours with me on a chat session earlierthis week. They concluded that theproblem was with my Bit Defender rules. When the tech uninstalled Bit Defender, the pages appeared to displayproperly. He said the rules must havegotten corrupted. When I re-installedBit Defender, web browsing became even worse than before. However, when I turn off the Bit Defenderfirewall, everything works normally again.

Why would Bit Defender be a problem with a CenturyLinkconnection and not with a Verizon Wireless connection or a COX cable modemconnection?
    Why would Bit Defender be a problem on the Sony VAIO and noton the HP that runs the same software?

I have sent a request for help to Bit Defender. I have yet to hear from them.
    Any idea I could try?

I could not post this message on a CenturyLink connection. I am now trying with a Verzizon Wireless connection.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well firewalls are designed to block anything you told it to block. I don't know how BitDefender works on it's own or user driven, but I would suggest to remove the program with the removal tool instead of letting windows do it because it may not remove everything and then reinstall.

3. VLM34750

VLM34750 Thread Starter

I used the Bit Defender removal tool before I re-installed it once already. I can try again but I don't think it will be any different. In addition why doesn't Bit Defender on the HP cause problems with CenturyLink and the exact same rules? Why does Bit Defender on the Sony cause no problem with a Verizon Wireless connection? I have been going back and forth between the CenturyLink connection and Verizon Wireless on the Sony. I can only post on this site with Verizon Wireless, not with CenturyLink. I am totally baffled.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It does sound like a specific configuration to BitD on that computer... for example CL IPs may be blocked but not Verizon.

I can try to download it (if it's free) and see if I can get to the configuration of the program.

5. VLM34750

VLM34750 Thread Starter

I appreciate your trying to help me. Unfortunately Bit Defender is not a free program.

The general rules for BD firewall are exactly the same on both the Sony and the HP.
    DNS over UDP Allow
    DNS over TCP Allow
    Incoming ICMP Deny
    Incoming iCMP6 Deny
    Sending E-mail Allow
    Web Browsing HTTP Allow
    Incoming Remote Desktop Connections Allow
    Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP Deny
    Windows Explorer traffic on FTP Deny

The Applications Rules: I have reset them once and they have regerated by themselves from program use.

Adapter Rules: The only entry is Wireless Network Connection. It can be expanded on both the Sony and the HP into two entries: the standard modem access address (192.168.0.1), and another address that is different between the 2 computers.

The Advanced Settings say:
    Intrusion Detection System Off
    Internet Connection Sharing Off
    Block Port Scans On
    Increase Log Verbosity Off
    Monitor wifi connection Off

I do not understand the alphabet soup. Can you recommend a Windows networking tutorial for a neophyte: not stupid but ignorant. ;)

I have no date on the CenturyLink ZyXEL 5100 Z modem. Is there a firewall on the DSL modem? I seem to recall there was a firewall on the Orange modem but the Sony with BD had no problem with it.

Is there some setting in the Sony wifi and E-net adapters that conflicts with CL modem? The HP obviously has different adapters.

I have yet to hear from Bit Defender. This is my second attempt at posting this message. The first one using CenturyLink went into a lengthy wait ending with a Cannot Display the Web Page when I clicked Submit Reply. This attempt at posting is with Verizon Wireless.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I believe the modem is also a router. You will need to doublecheck with C.L. because there are a couple of models and I couldn't pinpoint yours.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice