1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Certain IPs can not access our website

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by kenandkimm, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenandkimm

kenandkimm Thread Starter

Hello -

We have had calls from a few customers that they can not access our website. All of the customers that have problems have Uverse by AT&T as their internet provider. We called Uverse and they said that it is our hosting company....we called our hosting company and they said that it was a Uverse problem. Can anyone give me some insight. These are customers who volunteer and sell with us and they can not access our website thru Uverse. (They can view our site fine from their work internet or friends internet just fine).

We collected the ips of the first 5 customers that said they have this problem. All of their ips start with 172. Anyone have any ideas? We are at a loss as both companies blame each other and we are stuck in the middle.

Kim

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because you reject them? Because your hosting service blocks the addresses? Because their DNS isn't finding your site? Because their attempts to access your site by IP address "get lost"?

From that we cannot even know if they are talking about their public address or private (LAN).

3. kenandkimm

kenandkimm Thread Starter

Hello Terry -

Because you reject them? Because your hosting service blocks the addresses? Because their DNS isn't finding your site? Because their attempts to access your site by IP address "get lost"?

I contacted our hosting company and they said that those ip addresses are not blocked. I am not sure what you mean about rejecting them. How can we find out if their DNS isn't finding our site or if their IP address is getting lost?

From that we cannot even know if they are talking about their public address or private (LAN).

- All of their ips start with 172 - These are all individual house modems through AT&T using Uverse. I just told them to type in whatismyip.com to get their ip address and to send it to me so I could send it to our hosting company for them to see if it was blocked on our end.

Any help would be greated appreciated!

Hello -

We have had calls from a few customers that they can not access our website. All of the customers that have problems have Uverse by AT&T as their internet provider. We called Uverse and they said that it is our hosting company....we called our hosting company and they said that it was a Uverse problem. Can anyone give me some insight. These are customers who volunteer and sell with us and they can not access our website thru Uverse. (They can view our site fine from their work internet or friends internet just fine).

We collected the ips of the first 5 customers that said they have this problem. All of their ips start with 172. Anyone have any ideas? We are at a loss as both companies blame each other and we are stuck in the middle.

Kim

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then you are probably not. :) I hoped to jog your memory in case you did any checking for IPs that are on blacklists or that you had trouble with, etc.

Are they getting a message like "Server not found" or "host not found"? If so, there is a DNS problem. But if they can resolve the name of your site to the valid IP address but can't load the page then AT&T probably has a routing problem. Have any of them tried to access your site by IP address?

Then they would be public, but nothing we can help with unless you give us a complete address. My guess is that there is a DNS or routing problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice