1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Certain keys of my laptop not working at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnpc, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burnpc

Burnpc Thread Starter

Hello, 3 keys of my laptop are not working at all (P, @ and the up arrow). I have tried with Ubuntu and they don't work either. I noticed after reinstalling Windows 10, but I am not sure if it is related. I have now returned to factory settings with the MSI recovery, but the problem persists.

I have tried to take out the key and clean it, but it looks clean to me, and I haven't removed the metal bars nor rubber thingy for fear of damaging it. The computer is recent, bought in November past year.

I rather not send it to warranty, as I bought it in UK and I lvie in Malta, and the shipping would be quite astronomic, and I would be without laptop for weeks.

Can I do something? I cannot take out the battery to reboot as it is a modern MSI and it looks integrated into the body.

Any reply would be inmensely appreciated, as I am becoming mad with this problem, after hours and hours of trying to sort it out.

2. wiggita

wiggita

I have had this issue in the past and the only solution I have had is to either attach an external keyboard or take it to a computer repair place. When I had this problem the keyboard had damage causing the keys not to work. I sent my computer after a while to get the keys fixed and they had to replace my laptop's keyboard. if you can get a USB keyboard and plug it into your computer. that might be a good workaround but I would recommend getting it repaired before the warranty expires because the cost of replacing computer parts (especially laptops) can get expensive.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can replace the keyboard on many laptops relatively easy at home an the keyboards aren't too expensive; really depends on the exact model. Warranty would be the best option though as doing it yourself would void the warranty on any future issues as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice